Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FAO Aura - Windows 10 upgrade problem - CBS Log

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi, thanks for taking a look at this.

The CBS log is attached to this post (compressed to a zip file).  Hope this is OK?

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   160.78KB   4 downloads

7sbvuf-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi jonuk :)

This the log was okay. The only two files that are reported as corrupt are utc.app.json and telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json, but these are false positives by SFC and aren't really corrupted. Let's run SURT and see if it can find anything.

IGJdB0T.pngSystem Update Readiness Tool (SURT) - Scan
Follow the instructions below to run a scan with the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and provide a log;
  • Download the right version of SURT for your system;
    • Your version of Windows is:
  • Once downloaded, execute the installer, and go throught the installation (this process can take around 15-20 minutes);
  • On completion, a log will be created in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log;
  • Attach this log in your next reply;
Alternatively, if these instructions are unclear for you, you can follow the tutorial below.

System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

Hi, the link said to use DISM on Windows 8.1 rather than SURT.  So I ran it and this is the output in terminal:

C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was
 repaired.
The operation completed successfully.

Attached is another CBS.log file

Attached Files

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

I forgot that you were on Windows 8.1 my bad.

Now from what I understand, you're trying to upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update, right? At what step do you get the error code: when you download Windows 10, when it verify the download/prepare the system, when you are installing Windows 10, etc?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Yes that's right.  On the attempt I "forced" using wuauclt.exe /updatenow (after clearing the relevant folder) I watched the download in Windows Update and it finished, then status just immediately changed to failed.  It's attempted to upgrade several times sice (without me watching it) as shown in the update log.  Fails every time with error code 80240020.

I've got the iso now, possible plan B?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

Did you try to upgrade directly using the Media Creation Tool, and use its "Upgrade Now" option, not the media creation one?

unite_blue.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

I didn't, but have now, and it worked ;)  Writing this from within Windows 10 now.  It was quite a quick install as well, as they go.  Now to try and iron out some driver issues that have started in Windows 10 (incessant "Driver can't release to failure" messages).  I know it's something to do with Gigabyte motherboard software.  Probably something I should be able to sort out in due course.  Thanks for the assistance.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

No problem jonuk, I'm glad that you got it to work! You're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users