Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Fixed This!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jrand26

Jrand26

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

I had recently been having crashes, BSODS etc. So i ran memtest and it was my ram, i found which one was faulty and replaced it. My computer has been running fine for about a week then i started playing Fifa 05, it started crashing randomly (sometimes to the desktop, sometimes restarting) I ran memtest again and it said "Memory error detected copying between word pairs 20139022 and 20139012 " which was pretty much the same as the last error. Can memtest be inaccurate? what can cause ram to continually die?
Also sometimes i hear strange grating noises from my PSU, could this be related? (been happening for ages)

P4S800-MXSE mobo
2.6 ghz pro
512 ram (ddr 400)
256 9550 graphics
350 watt power

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

i found which one was faulty and replaced it

So you have two sticks of 256 megs each?

If so, did you run memtest86 on each stick individually? That is, with only one stick installed?

#3 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:04 AM

yeah, i took one out, tested it. Then i tested the other one. Only one was faulty. I have 2x256 sticks

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

Well, Memtest was last updated about a year and a half ago, so it may not be reliable with newer motherboards. Yours does not appear to be the latest generation but I know nothing about Intel.

Of the two memory sticks you now are using, which one failed in the second episode? Was it the mate of the first one? If you don't mind me asking, what brand(s) are the bad memory sticks?

Power supply failure could mimic lots of other symptoms, it can also sometimes take down components, most often the motherboard.

It might be worthwhile to memtest the modules in another machine. Just remember this may exonerate the RAM sticks but if they test bad that does not mean the rest of your components are OK.

I think you should investigate the grating noises from your PSU, it might just be the fan rubbing but that might be enough to slow it down and affect cooling.

#5 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

No, when i got the ram i added it to my existing 256 stick, it lasted 4 months, then failed. When i got the replacement it failed in a week, although i'm pretty sure it was faulty from the beginning because i never tried it on its own.The brand of the ram that failed is veritech. The one that works is different (cant remember name) and its been working fine ever since i got the mobo, psu, processer and the ram in a pack 2 years ago. I saw somewhere that having 2 different types can cause errors, so i tried the week old veritech one by itself and the computer would'nt boot, in either slot. I took it back, got a refund, and bought a 512 stick to eliminate the chance that it wont work cos of 2 different memory types. Its been playing fifa 2005 and Pandora Tomorow for about 5 hours now. I think its alright, for now..... Also do you mean the fan IN the psu or my other fans. I checked the other fans (Processor and case) and nothings rubbing. Can you even open the Psu up? thanks for your help.

#6 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

Ok, it worked last night, but then this morning i went to play BF2 and it crashed. I restarted and tried to play again, it got to the select profile screen then went to a blue screen (would have restarted but i turned auto-restart off) these are the same symtoms as my other 2 faulty ram sticks. I thinks its extremely unlikely to get 3 faulty sticks that work at first then bomb out so i'm assuming somethings causing my ram to fail. Please Help!

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:40 AM

I find very little information about Veritech's RAM on the internet.

RAM can generally be divided into a few classes
(Excepting performance or overclockers RAM which is made to the highest tolerances)

Premium or lifetime warranty: This RAM is made from Identical chips, all tested and meeting the assemblers standards, all from the same chip manufacturer and lot. The capacitors and resistors are the highest standard and exceed the JEDEC standard and all are installed on a circuit board which is thicker than required . The final product is tested to confirm that it is stable at the rated speed.

One year warranty: Very close, but may include memory chips from different batches although still the same manufacturer. The circuit board tends to be at least one ply thinner and the resistors and capacitors may have more variance. These still meet the JEDEC standards, and are tested to make sure they are stable at the specified speed.

OEM: These are intended for sale to a manufacturer, not for resale, although they often are sold retail. Often if you buy two sticks, you will find that they have memory chips from different manufacturers. They still meet standards (the chips are certified to meet the manufacturers specifications), but are often yet another ply thinner, and once again may have more variance in the tolerance of resistors and capacitors and may use fewer than on higher quality RAM.

Generic or 90 day RAM: This is the lowest quality you will generally encounter. Often these are made of leftover chips, ones salvaged from returned and failed RAM, RAM designed to run at a higher speed which failed and became unstable. They are put on really thin boards which do not meet the JEDEC standard, and they rarely have even the minimum number and quality of resistors and capacitors recomended by the JEDEC .

Also, if you touch the RAM anywhere except the edges, you should know that the oils and salts in your skin are corrosive and will eventually damage the ram. And if you touch it without observing anti-static precautions you can cause damage which may show up immediately or somewhere down the line.

This is why I always recommend that you spend the extra money and buy quality, name brand RAM with a lifetime warranty. I also prefer to buy all RAM at one time when possible and at a minimum, make sure it has identical specifications (easiest method, make sure it is same manufacturer and model).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

I agree that it's very unlikely you'd get three bad ram sticks but like TG1911 I don't see much about Veritech on the web. Am I understanding correctly that _one_ of your 256 meg sticks has worked correctly from the beginning, and is still working now?

If that is true I think we have to exonerate your other components and chalk this up to bad luck and bad memory. It may just be that your motherboard is "picky" about memory, I've heard of particular motherboards/chipsets that are like that. As TG1911 says you usually do better to get high quality RAM.

Did you try testing any of the bad RAM sticks on another computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users