Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daft question?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

Yesterday what I thought was Windows 10 was downloaded to my PC. It took a long time.

When I went to shut down my PC  a notice appeared saying an installation was being made and I was not to switch off. As it was late I left my PC to it.

This morning I cannot find Windows 10 in my Downloads section and when I click on the get Windows 10 icon I am still thanked for reserving my free upgrade.

So, where is it and/or what am I doing wrong?

I said I was asking a daft question. My apologies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hi Reena :)

You can trigger the Windows 10 download manually if you wish. Follow the instructions below.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    • net stop wuauserv
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt.exe /updatenow
Once done, go in your Windows Update panel and it should say that Windows 10 is currently being downloaded.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will follow your instructions and hope for the best!

(Where has my download gone to?)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

The Windows 10 upgrade is downloaded in the C:\Windows~$BT folder (I think I got the name right, not sure).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

When I get to my usual Windows Update I see:

Most recent check for update  Never

Updates were installed    Never

You receive updates for Windows and other products from Microsoft Updates.

What's happened? I have always kept updates updated and usually I see  a very long list of successful updates.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

It's because we renamed the DataStore folder. If you name it back, they'll appear. So you followed the instructions I gave you?

unite_blue.png

#7 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

Yes, and nothing seems to have happened.

My PC does not recognise C:\Windows~$BT

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

The folder is called $Windows.~BT, my bad.

unite_blue.png

#9 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

Still does not recognise it. Where do I find this, please?

Would it be better to undo the above "instruction" to replace my Windows 7 updates?

#10 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

My Get Windows icon is still on my taskbar and the message is the same as it was when it first appeared.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png

#12 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

I have done all this and am left only with 

1 file copied

C:\Windows\System32>\

No file has appeared on my desktop although I checked immediately

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

Go in your Desktop folder directly:

"%userprofile%\Desktop
Do you see the cbs.txt file there?

unite_blue.png

#14 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

It has now appeared and I have made a copy of it. However I am unable to upload to any of the links you suggest. I am just not accustomed to doing so. Is it possible to paste it here, please?

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

It's going to be way too long to post it here. Some users might not be able to open the thread after. The easiest service to use is Dropbox. Go on Dropbox.com, create an account, then once you're in your account, drag and drop the file in the webpage to upload it. Then right-click on it in Dropbox.com and select "Share", then give me the URL.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users