Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

14 million PCs upgraded to Windows 10 in the first day

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

It has been an incredible 24 hours for Windows and our fans. We’re humbled and grateful to see the response to Windows 10. We have seen unprecedented demand for Windows 10, with reviews and customer feedback overwhelmingly positive around the globe. We are doing everything we can to upgrade the world to Windows 10 as quickly as possible over the coming days and weeks ahead.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/30/windows-10-the-first-24-hours/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

How many of them struggled or cannot upgrade to Windows 10 however?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 912 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:40 AM

And how many, like myself, have decided not to immediately install when available. Just wanted to defer to see what kind of problems arose for those who decided to install. Maybe less glitches to deal with. Boy, I have to tell you though I almost "pulled the trigger". 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

Remember when Windows 8 premiered and Microsoft quoted those huge sales figures? Those were for licenses and not necessarily for installs. I wonder if Microsoft is counting a Windows 10 iso download as an install?

At the 11th Annual J.P. Morgan Tech Forum at CES 2013 today, Windows Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer Tami Reller announced that Windows 8 has sold 60 million licenses to date. This represents the cumulative sales of Windows 8 including both upgrades and sales to OEMs for new devices. This is a similar sales trajectory that we saw with Windows 7.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/01/08/windows-8-60-million-licenses-sold/

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

How many of them struggled or cannot upgrade to Windows 10 however?

Did you get my note on the black screen fix?  If not, here's the link again, search on 'black'.  Fix might be simple.  :lmao:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

Yes I got it. Corrine also posted it in another thread on Sysnative. This will be the first thing I try once I get home. If it works, it'll save me 2-3 hours. I don't mind doing a clean installation, it's just that right now, with my threads here, on Sysnative and my training I just can't be bothered haha.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

Understood.  I'm betting that 1/3 to 1/2 of the downloads were problemmatic, because the instructions about the key are none too clear, and it's also not clear that you have to update prior to doing a clean install, so a whole lot of the reports are for clean installs users cannot activate.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Understood.  I'm betting that 1/3 to 1/2 of the downloads were problemmatic, because the instructions about the key are none too clear, and it's also not clear that you have to update prior to doing a clean install, so a whole lot of the reports are for clean installs users cannot activate.

And now they have a clean install with no activation. Will they know how to revert back to 8.1 or 7? Is this easily accomplished?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

My Windows 8.1 Professional product key was refused during one of my upgrade attempt. Even thought it's perfectly legitimate and it comes from Dreamspark (which could be the issue, who knows).

unite_blue.png

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

14 million installs/downloads, it shows how people respond to the word free! Evn if the free thing is something they might in the long run have preferred not to have.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

They don't want that product key.  You're supposed to skip it.  10 is supposed to detect your key in your device, then activates itself with a key which you won't know, either right away or several days later.  So the refusal is no reflection on the validity of your key;  the key sought, was a Win10 key, which is irrelevant for what you're doing so you skip it.

My Windows 8.1 Professional product key was refused during one of my upgrade attempt. Even thought it's perfectly legitimate and it comes from Dreamspark (which could be the issue, who knows).

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, John, that's what's bothering me.  For the way it works, seems as though it wrecks all chance of a true restore.  Some of the horror stories being told in tenforums are that people who reverted, lost everything.

And now they have a clean install with no activation. Will they know how to revert back to 8.1 or 7? Is this easily accomplished?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, John, that's what's bothering me.  For the way it works, seems as though it wrecks all chance of a true restore.  Some of the horror stories being told in tenforums are that people who reverted, lost everything.

And how many of them did not make a disk image first?

#14 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

Sooo many problems with this version.  I really hope they get some of the bigger issues fixed, like the auto-update-that-you-can't-turn-off issue that's reinstalling graphics card drivers over and over.  That would be awesome.  Cheers.

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

John_C21, even if they made the disk image, the new writes over the old.  So it's not like you can fix it.  Or so it would seem.  You can restore your image, but then it's back to square one.  This is really a silly design.  If it's so important to read the key that's on the drive, why do an update on top of the existing version?  Why not read the key and then allow installation to a separate partition?  That way nothing is lost, and still you're not violating the agreement.

This is just crazy.  We Insiders didn't have to go through this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users