Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD player not showing has power

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skaus

skaus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

Hello! I am working on my moms laptop. It is a HP Pavillion DV9000. Inside it has a cd/dvd player model Ts-L632 it has power. it responds to opening the door... the lights come on and it temp kicks up... but it is not listed in my computer and it wont even play store bought music... things i could find and have done is to update all drivers, flash bios, delete the reg key for it (caused BSOD), reboot, check it in BIOS... none of these things seem to be bringing it the rest of the way alive and I cannot find a driver for it. It does not show in Device Manager either. we have identical laptops so i even switched the drive out... same deal...

Any Ideas?

Edited by skaus, 31 July 2015 - 04:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Have you tried running the Microsoft Fixit? When you said you deleted the registry key, was this the upper and lower filters key?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

#3 skaus

skaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:11 AM

yes it was the upper and lower filters but only the upper was listed... and yes i ran FixIt and it says The device is unable to be detected :( I know its plugged in and correctly... i have no idea why it cant find it

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

The HP dv-9000 series was very problematic. There was even a class-action suit filed against HP. See this Google Search. One video shows no DVD and was repaired by "Reflowing" the motherboard but this kind of repair usually does not last. Your best bet would be to get a USB external DVD writer.

From your first post, is the drive detected in BIOS?

#5 skaus

skaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

I am not sure that it can actually see it.. the only place i see it listed is in the boot order. is there another way or area i should be looking at?

Also, the whole thing that started this escapade is something wiped my moms computer. Made her hard drive a paperweight and fried her motherboard. I used my laptop to fix hers. Her CD/DVD drive was working before all of this... So was mine. When I put my motherboard in her laptop I also put in my DVD drive as well as my hard drive. I had to reformat my hard drive to just a basic OS installed and i slaved  her drive so that she can access her files as she didnt have them backed up. I did run a virus/antispywear/malware scan on all drives and nothing serious was found. Mostly just tracking stuff. Mind you the whole thing blew up right after a windows update that also wiped my and my husbands desktops...  anyway.. I am up for any ideas... i have thought about the USB ones but would really like to make this fucntion as it should again. After all its a laptop not a netbook lol.  Thanks :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Can this computer boot a CD/DVD OS install disk? If it cannot do that then it is not a OS problem but a hardware problem. If you do not have a bootable disk you can download Puppy linux heretahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

Burn the iso using Windows 7 by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Try booting the disk. I am not sure if HP has a boot menu key. It could be Esc then F9 or just Esc / F9

#7 skaus

skaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

no it wont boot anything.. again it tries.. it spins up.. it lights up... then nothing happens... I have swapped out the CD drive with known working ones as well as the card between the motherboard and the drive... they were both working before her motherboard failed... now nothing... also... in bios... i feel there should be another option to look at the drives installed but its not listed... i can change boot order but i cant see the hard drives or the cd drive other than that...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

When you first boot the computer with the disk in the optical drive did you try tapping F9? What is the OS currently on the computer and what was it when the HDD was wiped? Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

You may want to check this HP dv9000 thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users