Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Win7 image on new Partition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

I completed upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. So far everything seems to be working great. I have a Macrium image of my C drive with Win 7 on an external HD. Can I create a new partition on my C drive and restore my Win 7 image there? That way I can dual boot to either OS. I have done some research and it appears to be a relatively easy thing to do, even for a computer dummy like myself. Can someone advise me or give me a link to the best/easiest way to do this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

I am wondering the same thing!

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

I believe you can but with one minor problem.You have 10 on there now and you want to dual boot with 7,correct.I don't think your boot manager will allow you an option because the newer OS was installed first.So when you boot it will always be 10.You can

overcome that by installing EasyBCD and using that for your boot options.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, Plumber, that's what I'm wondering.  Apparently unlike the Win10 you got, the 'free' download version, must upgrade in place ON TOP OF the older OS.  Then you can only do a clean install.  But now you don't have the old OS anymore.  It was written over.  So it sounds backwards, or something.

Really weird.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

brainout,I remember this back in the day.When I had XP I was able to dual boot 7 with no problem.Can't remember now why but down the road I had to reinstall XP and ran into the boot problem.Also happened
with 7 and 8.1.Did a little research and found out earlier OS has to be installed first.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

Yeppers, Plumber: same thing happened to me.  So I'm thinking that I won't 'upgrade' to 10 if I ever use it again at all.  If I decide to actually use it, then I'll just buy a retail version and install it as a separate partition. You have a retail version.

It was really lame and deceptive to require Win10 be an inplace upgrade, to get the clean install.  This inplace upgrade retires the earlier OS license.  And folks won't realize that, until it's too late.

For the new license which you can read for yourself, is much more restrictive.  I did a video about the ** problem in that page, here.

Saddest part is, none of the pundits cover that very significant restriction, that you must have 'OEM support' or you can't get updates. Almost criminal, that no one talks about that or the Privacy Invasion that is Cortana.

Go look at Privacy Settings (right-click on desktop, Personalize, then look in the upper left corner for the 'arrow' for settings, click on the arrow, then lower left all the way down is Privacy):  see what you're opted into.  You'll be shocked.

So now think:  MSFT states that it will indeed share YOUR data if required (view the first link in Win10). So it does know who YOU are, does keep YOUR data unwashed.. somewhere.  So okay, Jane Doe divorces John Doe, and petitions MSFT disclose what's on John's computer, once she knows he has Win10.. can be done!  Can't be done if an earlier version.

Seriously:  MSFT should fire all its lawyers.  Folks can now tie MSFT up in court, for you can make a criminal or often a serious civil accusation for anything in 'discovery' phase, pre-trial: those subpoena'd to provide info, have to do it.  One way to prove whether John wiped his machine to claim he had nothing, is to go to MSFT servers.  Oy.

No machine of mine containing sensitive client data is ever on the internet for more than a few minutes at a time; and even then, it's not 'windows' data.  Modern software, generally cannot read the files.

So will I ever ever ever want a Windows 10 machine to have sight of that stuff?  No.  I'm sure MSFT isn't going to abuse it, but hackers and litigants sure can.  And will try. This is too rich a target, for them to ignore.     :ph34r:

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#7 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

I did just checkout the privacy settings and yes I am shocked.I wanted 10 to play with and feel what it was about.I don't think I will keep it to much longer cuz for what I do even XP is fine.For what it's worth I think that MS has been working on this for quite

sometime.There main goal is to be able to track everyone and completely eliminate pirated copies.With the option of not being able to prevent updates from installing they will be able to track all cracked copies.I have no problem with that,if you use it,buy it but it

jeapordizes all are privacy.You can't take away the right to privacy for honest people while trying to stop the dishonest.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Plumber, 01 August 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, Plumber.  Just keep sensitive data off that machine.  Store it maybe in some peripheral and then unhook the peripheral.  Stay offline when that peripheral is hooked in, commonsense stuff like that.  Email you can avoid by downloading email from XP, or plug in a Linux stick* and do your Firefox or email using Linux instead, which Windows cannot read.  Linux is plug and play in those two respects, surfing (which in Firefox is the same as Windows), and email client (Thunderbird can read Outlook Express and has a similar interface, also can be installed in XP).

So you can still keep Win10 and yet protect yourself.

=========

*The first two showing in that link, I've been waiting to buy. They were out of stock.  Now back in stock.  I can make them for free too, click here and search on my nickname, to see how; but the Amazon purchase bundles several popular versions, and with reference materials I've been wanting.

Edited by brainout, 01 August 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#9 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info,never thought of that.That's not surprising though,I still type with one finger,baby finger on my left hand but

I am right handed.Guess there's a lot of things I don't think of anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users