Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coomputer can't 'see' external HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:13 AM

Hello, all. I have a HGST eternal HDD, and the computer cannot see it. When I open Device manager, and go down to 'Disk Drives', it lists the computer's internal HDD, another external HDD I ha connected to it via a USB port, and it also lists the HGST HDD. When I open that listing, I am told the unit is functioning properly, but when I go to 'Computer" I only see the internal HDD and the other HDD. I disconnected the other external HDD but there was still no recognition of the HGST drive

. I tried updating the driver software, but it says the installation of driver hardware was not successful. What should I try next?

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

You can make sure that the Plug and Play service is started in services.msc. If it's in Manual mode, it's OK.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Does the disk show in Disk Management when attached? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Or Device Manager?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

From my initial post n this thread:  

When I open Device manager, and go down to 'Disk Drives', it lists the computer's internal HDD, another external HDD I ha connected to it via a USB port, and it also lists the HGST HDD. When I open that listing, I am told the unit is functioning properly,

I saw a tech at the mall where I purchased the unit use Disk Management, but I can't remember how to get to it.  I know how to get to Device manager, but how do I get to Disk Management?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Right Click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

What is your OS?

#7 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:37 AM

JohnC_21

On Disk Manager, it only shows my two external HDDs, both 1TB, and my internal C: drive 500gb.

I checked Device Manager again just now and I must have been mistaken the other day, because it is not showing up there either. Now when I pick it up, although the power lights are on, it does not seem to be running. This is a unit that I was given as a replacement for the HDD in my unit I'm on now, so it is a brand-new drive, but it seems dead. (I called the customer service here but CS in this country is a joke.) I'll stop this thread since I think the unit it is dead, so it's not going to show up in my computer.

But thanks again for the willingness to help.

Edited by PGHinBKK, 03 August 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

It is easy to miss if no letter is assigned. You can verify if the disk is dead or not showing by typing CMD in the search box to get a command prompt and typing

Diskpart

list disk

#9 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

The CMD brings up a C:\Windows\system32\CMD.exe  'little black window'

but I cannot list the commands Diskpart

List Disk   on the two separate lines the way you put them in the post. Is that the way they must be entered, or on one line with slashes, etc.  or is this little black window the wrong window?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Sorry I was not clear. Attach the USB enternal. Type CMD in the search box if you have Windows 7.

Diskpart   <enter>  This will bring up the UAC Window. Allow it. Then a new window will appear with a Diskpart prompt. Type

list disk     <enter>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users