Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First PC build, let me know what you think of the parts ive chosen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jaygal

jaygal

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:09 AM

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K

MOBO: MSI ATX Z97 GAMING 5

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB

Power: FirePower Technology ZT Series 550W

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Technoloy NiC C5 120mm Untouchable

Case: Enermax Ostrog GT ATX Mid Tower

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:46 AM

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K

MOBO: MSI ATX Z97 GAMING 5

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB

Power: FirePower Technology ZT Series 550W

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Technoloy NiC C5 120mm Untouchable

Case: Enermax Ostrog GT ATX Mid Tower

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

1) Get rid of that GTX 960 4GB, not worth it consider that 128 memory bus will slow you down. Get GTX 970 4GB that will be future proof 1080P gaming.

2) Get rid of that power supply, not highly recommend as it can kill your entire computer. I recommend these Seasonic  or Antec. If in the future you want to build a computer with a good power supply, highly recommend EVGA, Seasonic, and Antec as they produces good power supplies.

3) Drop that CPU cooler and get this instead. Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO 

4) I will give you a list of good and bad power supply lists, so later on you can refer to it. Highly recommend bookmark these.

Good power supplies lists 

Bad power supplies lists

#3 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:50 AM

Just to let you know  FirePower Technology ZT Series 550W from OCZ are bad because their two power supplies are rated as failed. their 650W power supply can only deliver 75% of rated power but failed 45C temperature testing. While their 1000W power supply have serious temperature issue due to poor design.

Edited by CaptainGhetto, 31 July 2015 - 03:51 AM.

#4 jaygal

jaygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I wasnt sure about that power supply so im glad i posted

#5 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I wasnt sure about that power supply so im glad i posted

Ya welcome, make sure you bookmark that two power supply lists as they will come handy in the future or help out your friend. 

#6 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:02 AM

Also, are you going to overclock the i5 4690k? If not, go with  i5 4690 which will save you couple of bucks with no overclock. 

Edited by CaptainGhetto, 31 July 2015 - 04:02 AM.

#7 jaygal

jaygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

I'm looking into it but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. gonna take more research before i know weather I'm capable of doing that haha 

#8 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

I'm looking into it but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. gonna take more research before i know weather I'm capable of doing that haha 

Actually that Coolermaster Hyper 212 i choose for you can do a moderate overclock which is 4GHz - 4.2GHz, but if you have a good chip which require minimum voltage then you can do at 4.5GHz.

#9 jaygal

jaygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

How will that i5 4690 preform? if i can save a few bucks and it will do a good enough job then i will probably just go with that

#10 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:13 AM

How will that i5 4690 preform? if i can save a few bucks and it will do a good enough job then i will probably just go with that

The differences between non k CPU and k CPU is that K version CPUs Intel design for overclock in mind meaning Intel allows you to modify the CPU voltage, frequency,cache and base clock. However, the non k version CPUs is you just stuck with whatever Intel put on that chip, some people can overclock it but the performance is not going to be good compare to K CPU when it overclock, and the different between those is just one is design for overclock and one is not. But if you just overclock CPU for gaming, forget it not worth it. 

#11 jaygal

jaygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

Not worth a jump up to an i7 either?

#12 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:18 AM

Not worth a jump up to an i7 either?

Well, first of all are you going use your PC as gaming/streaming or heavy multi tasking? 

#13 jaygal

jaygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:19 AM

mostly gaming, maybe a little bit of streaming and rendering 

#14 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

mostly gaming, maybe a little bit of streaming and rendering 

Then i would get Xeon 1231 V3 because it has hyperthreading like I7 but it cost cheaper. The only downside is that you can't overclock it and clock speed kinda low, but not really noticeable if you just playing game. 

#15 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:24 AM

Also the Xeon 1231 V3 doesn't have intergrated GPU such as Intel HD, so it will going to use dedicated graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users