Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading / replacing from amd to intel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marine8498

marine8498

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

Alright so heres the details on my situation. I was running with an amd fx-4130, gigabyte GA-78M-USB3 i believe was the board model, had a stick of gskill and default crucial ram total of 16gb, using a radeon hd 7700 2gb graphics. and my original plan was only to buy a psu graphics and cpu because the motherboard was still decent, however apon inspection / removing the heatsink and cpu i come to notice the cpu wasnt even locked in the socket at all it was only being secured down by the heatsink / fan clips, i was fuming at this point, they said it was 3 months out of warrenty so said ah what the hell mise well dump another 200$ into a whole new computer, so i was able to salvage the case, the case fans and the front panel. and now to you guys my question is this, i already have the cpu / default sink it came with, today i get the motherboard and aftermarket heatsink / fan, saturday i get the psu and graphics, but my question is this, what is the best guide / review on learning to be more fluent with installing power supplys, its never been my thing to mess with electrical bleep so it kinda makes me nervous a bit. so i want to make sure im plugging in everything in the right spot which i do know most spots, i know the 24pin power connector and the cpu power plug, and the other small ones for like usb3 front panel power panel like that my main ones im not too good with is the 4pin power connectors, any advice?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LZvd7P

heres my build btw

Edited by marine8498, 31 July 2015 - 12:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

The instruction manual to your motherboard should list all the locations where you need to plug the power in to.  Mine also has a step-by-step guide on how to set it up, yours may as well.  Outside of the motherboard, there are all the drives, case fans, graphics cards, and any add-in cards that may need supplemental power directly from the power supply (PSU).  If you forgot to plug something in, you'll know about it.

You will also need to completely reinstall Windows since you have a new motherboard.

3939.png

#3 marine8498

marine8498
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

I figured I would have. Although it's gonna suck to have to download 400gb of games all over.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

If you downloaded the games through Steam or GoG, you don't have to redownload the games so long as the directory they are installed in isn't deleted.

3939.png

#5 marine8498

marine8498
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

i was auctually in luck i didnt have to reinstall anything, just had to install all the motherboard drivers and graphic drivers and everything was good to go. now i did take the windows 10 upgrade but im trying to find where windows 7 / 8 had that "welcome to windows" and if gave your computer a score on its hardware, any idea if thats in windows 10 too?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:18 AM

I'm not sure in 10.  In truth, that score should be disregarded since it isn't a good indicator as to actual performance. 

Here is a forum post on TechNet about this tool in Windows 10.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users