Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound and questions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 camplate

camplate

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

I've asked on the Linux forum but no response yet. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=201189 I have questions. Is this normal for updates, that something stops working after an update? With your own computers when an update happens do you check all functions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

I've asked on the Linux forum but no response yet. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=201189 I have questions. Is this normal for updates, that something stops working after an update? With your own computers when an update happens do you check all functions?

Hmm, seems you are using alsa

Ever try pulse audio?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

First check if the sound is not muted.

If not.

Try.

sudo alsa force-reload

If that don't work try the following 1 at a time.

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio

Then.

sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

Then.

sudo alsa force-reload

And reboot.

If still no luck try.

sudo gedit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher

change RUN=yes to RUN=no

And reboot.

speech-dispatcher-%28-etc-default%29---g

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

Could also be the driver you're using. 

Go to Hardware drivers, under Administration & check to see which driver is installed. 

Also go into Sound settings & ensure your speaker out put is correct. For example, if you have 4 speakers, try the 4 speaker format from the list, but first you must select a sound scheme. Choose Linux Mint for this & then you can have audio adjustments. Just make sure that the right one is selected. 

Then you can preform a sound check. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 camplate

camplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

Sorry for the late reply, always doing other things and forget about problems until I pick the laptop back up. Before I try anything I want to state that when I select Menu > Sound & Video > Sound > Hardware and Test Speakers, with the volume all the way up I can just, just hear Front Left and Front Right.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

Have you selected the Allow higher than 100%?

sound_021.png

#7 camplate

camplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:42 AM

It is just slightly better; I can hear sound if I have nothing else making noise in the house. But it is nothing like it was or should be.

speech-dispatcher is RUN=no. I've tried the sound lower than 100%

I don't see any device drivers? Menu > Administration > Driver Manager (enter password) I only see three selections for video drivers.

I downloaded some mp3 files to make sure it isn't a Firefox problem. I've downloaded both a video and mp3 files and while the sound display is showing sound, I hear nothing.

Edited by camplate, 14 August 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

Do you have any other operating systems on this computer, to ensure that the problem is with the software and not the hardware?

If not, try booting up with a live operating system to see if the sound works.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:10 AM

Do you have any other operating systems on this computer, to ensure that the problem is with the software and not the hardware?

If not, try booting up with a live operating system to see if the sound works.

+1! :thumbup2:

That's a surefire way of checking the volume and anything else that may need it. Sometimes, a different type of Linux media will test better than others. 

FatDog64 is the one that I use the most for this, if a 64 bit computer & I see from the post on the Linux Mint site it's 64 bit. 

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Fatdog

While this won't fix your issue, it'll tell you if your hardware is working. If nothing else works to get sound going on Linux Mint, a reinstall may be needed, You can keep your /home partition intact by selecting it for /home, but do not check the 'Format' box (this ensures your data is there). Also, assign Swap as you would a full install. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

WOW great support at the Mint forum ( Sarcasm ) has replied to your question in 2 weeks?

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

WOW great support at the Mint forum ( Sarcasm ) has replied to your question in 2 weeks?

That's why I seldom visit that forum, they never have the answers to the questions I had. Always speculation as to what to do. 

I suppose their long term members gets better support than those who just pops in now & then. It's been a while back, was asked to voice my opinion about creating a Virtualisation section to the forum, which eventually they did & was thanked for my support of the idea. The first & only time I was thanked on a dedicated Linux forum until recently. 

There has been one that sprouted up, I never looked for it, but was sent an invite by email to join, I participate there a bit while on the computer during the day. Don't know where they got my contact info from, though it does seem to be a good site. 

http://linuxsay.com/

Now as to the Topic, hopefully camplate has downloaded & tried out FatDog64, it's screaming fast & can help identify issues equally as such. We need to hear back before proceeding with any more answers. 

Cat

#12 camplate

camplate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

Fixed. The problem was me, I guess. I tried FatDog64 and still didn't have any sound. I went back to Mint and Thursday I was checking out Pulse Volume Control and under Output Devices Built-in Audio Analog Stereo the speakers were turned way down. I turned them up and the sound came back. I know, I know, I know I checked every thing I could before. It's not tied to the system volume control because I had that at 100% and had very low sound. Now, I have no volume control on the toolbar and the -+ volume controls don't change anything. But I do have sound. Poor tinny sound, but sound.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

What are you running Mate? Cinnamon? Xfce?  Are you asking how to get the sound adjustment back into the Tray?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

What are you running Mate? Cinnamon? Xfce?  Are you asking how to get the sound adjustment back into the Tray?

pcpunk, the Mint distro choice has nothing to do with the audio, have ran them all, including Debian.  :)

Pulse Audio has fixed many Linux users sound issues, including mine. The sound applet can be added back to the panel, or the Pulse Audio control panel can be added to the quick launcher group, where the default browser icon is, I have other items frequently accessed there. A reboot may also help to restore the icon, the OP hasn't stated whether or not this has been done. 

It can also be seen in the snapshot that Nick posted in #6 above, a checkmark to 'Show sound volume in menu bar', which if checked, should place it in the panel. The OP needs to go back & make sure that option is selected. 

Though sometimes the speakers are what they are, many notebooks ships with low cost speakers, unless one pays over $1,000 for a really nice one that may include a small subwoofer, though this option tends to be on even higher priced models, like $1,500 or more, one may get 5.1 channel surround sound. 

However, if the OP has dual ((left/right) in the rear or the same in the front also, one can experiment with the output settings for the audio & perform a test until the right type is selected, that can improve the audio. For example, my MSI has 4 speakers, until I played with the output adjustments, it was in left/right mode. Still, it's not setup like on Windows, has Dynaudio digital 4 channel, Linux Mint nor any other Linux distro shows my speakers as 4 channel digital. The best that I can achieve is 4.0 surround. 

Cat

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:18 AM

5 weeks & going, not a single post to the OP's Topic. As stated above, I only visit that forum when desperately needed & will look through the Topics before posting one of my own. 

Of course, I also make use of the best digital assistants in the World & that's Google. Normally if it's been asked, there will be one or more hits to sites with the answer, which is why I create few Topics. Though I have created Topics in the past & will again if needed, prefer to put some self-effort into my issues before creating a new one, when the answer often is under my nose with a Google search. 

Yet that's just me, I highly encourage everyone in need of an answer of a question to post, especially new Linux users, it can be tough sifting through a mass of Google posts. Some of these leads may not apply to all, as one gains experience & knows their hardware better, will be in a better position to do some self-searching. We prefer to play it safe here. When I use Google's results, am always taking a gamble. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 08 September 2015 - 02:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users