Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Happened To Mozilla-firefox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

I have a windows 98(se), 40gig hardrive, and 90 rams. While I do use IE as a browser on occasion, I have come to rely more on firefox as my main browser. Of course I know that google has taken them over. That is obvious when you go to firefox, since it had encorporated a space down below to use for topic and issue searches. But when I already know the address I want to go to, I had been going to the address line at the top of the site and inserting my cursor in back of www. and erasing the rest...then inserting the address I wanted to go to.

However, recently all you find on firefox site is that space for search. So,I assume they want to turn this site into a search engine with less function for browser use. And the format sucks. It doesnt have a "back button" or a symbol to "refresh". What the hell is going on???? Sally

SECOND REQ FOR HELP: I also recently paid for one of those speed up your computer scams. I ran it on my computer and it eliminated the "shut down" function; the "run" function; and the "find" function. I tried to get them back by going to the start program and menue but cant get them reinstalled. Any suggessions? Thanks.Sally

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

Google has not "taken over" Firefox.
They're two entirely different entities.
Google search is just provided as a convience, as most people use Google for their search engine.

It sounds like the Location bar has been replaced with the Search bar.
See if helps with your Firefox problem:
Right click an empty space on the Toolbar at the top.
Select Customize.
This should open the Customize Toolbar window.
Click and hold the Search bar, and drag it into the Customize Toolbar window.
Find the Location bar, in the Customize Toolbar window, click and hold it, and drag it to the Toolbar.
You can also click and drag the Back and Refresh icons to your toolbar, from the Customize Toolbar window.
Close the Customize Toolbar window by clicking Done.
See if it works the way you want it to, now.

Which "speed up your computer scams" did you install.
Have you removed it?

Edited by tg1911, 12 July 2006 - 12:27 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

1911: I tried to do what you suggested. But there is no icon of "refresh"; next", etc to drag. I did click on a "default" button(no help). Perhaps, that mozilla start page has indeed been changed. I give up???

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

The refresh icon is labeled Reload (looks like 2 blue arrows chasing each other in a circle).
Next is labeled Foward.

Perhaps, that mozilla start page has indeed been changed.

I not sure I understand what you mean by this.
Could you go into a little more detail?

Don't give up just yet, we'll get it figured out. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 12 July 2006 - 07:01 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

Are you using Firefox 1.5.0.4??
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:36 AM

Again, the icons in the "customize" section does not include a "back';favorites; or refresh/reload' icons. It still does not have an address bar. It has simply become a search engine. I did download the mozilla-firefox program again. That didnt help. Perhaps I should have deleted the old program before downloading again

What I used to speed up computer is a deal called "PC booster" and browser booster. After that, the provided links in the start menu: "shut down; "run";"find' and "favorites" were removed. Dont know how to get them back?

So, what does one do???

#7 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:48 AM

Yes, Buddy, I am using firefox 1.5

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

The program that you used to "Boost", does it provide a means to revert to old settings? Have you attempted a system restore to a date before "boosting" your computer?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:40 AM

Is there a > Tools button on the browser?
If so click on > Tools > Options > General Tab
And see what it has under > Homepage
Make note of what shows if it is not what should be showing.

Just a guess, but maybe you have been highjacked....although don't go by me.
LOL There are many here, that no more of that sort of stuff that I.

Again, the icons in the "customize" section does not include a "back';favorites; or refresh/reload' icons. It still does not have an address bar. It has simply become a search engine. I did download the mozilla-firefox program again. That didnt help. Perhaps I should have deleted the old program before downloading again

I dont have those options under > customize (eiether)

(For missing address bar) > Right click on the menu bar on a blank space. Where you see file, edit etc.
and make sure that you have "Navigation Toolbar checked"

And no you should not of installed Mozilla Firefox on top of a previous install.

What I used to speed up computer is a deal called "PC booster" and browser booster. After that, the provided links in the start menu: "shut down; "run";"find' and "favorites" were removed. Dont know how to get them back?

Now that in itself is odd. Maybe your comp is infected with malware.
Perhaps you should run some security scans, anti virus, anti spyware, anti adware.

Edited by Scarlett, 13 July 2006 - 10:02 AM.

Posted Image

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Have you tried a new profile?
Start>Run>'firefox.exe -profilemanager'
if everything goes back to normal use it and delete the old one
(import your bookmarks first if you want :thumbsup: )
after making sure you're bug freeof course.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:23 AM

If it were me, I'd just start over with a clean install.
That would be the easiest thing to do.
This is different than just using Add/Remove.
It will wipe all traces of Firefox from your system, before a reinstall of the new version, which Add/Remove doesn't do.

Note: You will have to go back and redo all of your personal settings (Options), as deleting the Profile folder will erase everything Firefox related.
You will be starting with a clean slate.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

You might want to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, before you uninstall, and save it to somewhere you'll be able to find it.
This is where all of your Bookmarks are stored.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html
And make a copy of the Bookmark.html file

Then you can replace, the new one created, with the old one, you copied.
After you install Firefox, delete Bookmark.html, and replace it with your saved copy of Bookmark.html.
Restart Firefox.
That way, you'll have all of your Bookmarks back.

Now for the uninstall.
Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete the Profiles folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Download a fresh copy of Firefox, then reinstall.

Don't forget to replace your Bookmark.html file.

Edited by tg1911, 13 July 2006 - 11:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users