Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still wondering if I should upgrade to Win 10 or wait?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kikig04

Kikig04

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Hi everyone, I have both Win7 and 8.1 and still not sure on weather to upgrade or not- I keep reading and reading, it it just goes back and forth with everyone- I'm flippin' confused... Both systems are running awesome, so that's whats got me wondering, if I should just wait a few months or just jump in- Thanks for any professinal advice evryone ;-)

Kiki G.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

It's OK, you can upgrade right now and it will be fine. I was confused too but then it upgraded just fine. It took approximately 45 minutes total for me to upgrade. The only thing is that you'll need to reinstall a few of your drivers (graphics atleast) and then you're good to go. I don't know why, it's just the way it is. But overall it is worth it.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

It's OK, you can upgrade right now and it will be fine. I was confused too but then it upgraded just fine. It took approximately 45 minutes total for me to upgrade. The only thing is that you'll need to reinstall a few of your drivers (graphics atleast) and then you're good to go. I don't know why, it's just the way it is. But overall it is worth it.

Did you reserve a copy for download yesterday? Did it download ok the first time? I have been having problems and I envy your success.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

I reserved it about a month ago. The upgrade is ready once Windows 10 has finished downloading in the background when you're not noticing. In fact, I just let the upgrade run from start to finish and I don't think I had to touch the computer until the lock screen appeared.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

Thanks gigawert, it keeps asking me it's ready to upgrade- I know I can always come here and get some cool help from everyone...

Kiki G.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

You're welcome! :)

P.S. If your computer has multiple operating systems and the Windows 10 installation reboots the computer, be sure to select "Windows Setup" from the options. You can completely disregard this P.S. if you only have one OS.

:bananas:

#7 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, only 1 OS on the desktop and laptop-

#8 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

Just upgrade, if you do not satisfied for windows 10, you can rollback to win 7/8, also you can dual boot with win 10. but if you donot want to give up win 7 and win 8.1,  just let it go. :bounce: Nothing

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

Personally I would wait for 3 to 6 months before updating, Let them sort out some of the bugs. Like you say, Both systems are running awesome.

That's just my opinion, But then again what would I know I’m just a simple Linux user.  :lmao: 

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

It's not so easy to roll back, would counsel waiting.  Because, you're overwriting your current setup and you like it.  Wait to see what people say, first.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

After careful consideration, I have decided not to upgrade to Windows 10. And I'm usually an early adopter of this sort of thing. For me, the number one reason to not upgrade is I am really happy with Windows 7 and a free upgrade isn't enough incentive to risk the kind of problems I am seeing on this forum. The other thing is that my current PC is almost three years old and by the time Windows 7 support ends, it will be time to get a new PC anyway which will no doubt have Windows 13 pre-installed...lol. Even free, it's too risky when I am happy with the performance of my PC.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

After careful consideration, I have decided not to upgrade to Windows 10. And I'm usually an early adopter of this sort of thing. For me, the number one reason to not upgrade is I am really happy with Windows 7 and a free upgrade isn't enough incentive to risk the kind of problems I am seeing on this forum. The other thing is that my current PC is almost three years old and by the time Windows 7 support ends, it will be time to get a new PC anyway which will no doubt have Windows 13 pre-installed...lol. Even free, it's too risky when I am happy with the performance of my PC.

:thumbsup: Very smart post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

#13 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Just did the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 this morning.  I did a full Acronis back up beforehand so I can recover 8.1 easily if needed.  Truthfully I am one to hang on to an operating system rather than upgrade but I did it because of all the positive comments on Windows 10.  The upgrade loaded flawlessly and so far all my apps seem to be operating normally.  My printers also work perfectly.  From this point time will tell but so far I am very impressed.

#14 Kikig04

Kikig04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Right on, there some great post so far... Thank you!

#15 louie469

louie469

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

I did the upgrade to windows 10,, played around with it had memory issues on a computer only 2 months old, it has 12 gigs.......whent back to windows 8.1 and no more issues and me personally i like windows 8.1 better, right now.... I will stay with 8.1 untill im forced to upgrade

my system as it is

Product Features

64-bit operating system, x64- based processor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 operating system preinstalled

Upgrade to Windows 10 for free

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4570 processor

Features a 6MB cache and 3.2GHz processor speed.

Intel® Core™ i5 processor

Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance. Intel® HD graphics are built into Intel's smart new processors.

12GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM

For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

2TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. Also includes 25GB of online storage for up to 6 months via Dropbox.

Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Feature up to 1792MB total available video memory as allocated by Windows 8 for lush images with rich, intricate detail.

15-in-1 media reader

Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, CompactFlash I/II, Microdrive, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Select, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick MagicGate and Memory Stick Duo formats.

Also supports Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick MagicGate Duo and Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo (8-bit) formats.

4 USB 3.0 and 8 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in 2.4GHz single-band high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)

Lets you rapidly connect to the Internet without wires.

Bluetooth 4.0 interface

Allows simple wireless communication with other Bluetooth-enabled devices.

Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN

Enables quick and easy wired Web connection.

Software package included

With CyberLink MediaEspresso, CyberLink PhotoDirector, CyberLink PowerDirector, CyberLink PowerDVD and more. Includes 1-month trial of Microsoft Office 365.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

**Offer valid for qualified Windows devices for one year after Windows 10 upgrade availability. Windows 10 features vary by device. See www.windows.com/windows10specs for details

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users