Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 is very slow and hangs for a long time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtsnakester

jtsnakester

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hey,

I am having a very strange problem with my computer.  My computer sometimes boots up very slowly, and hangs for long periods of time.  Then it works fine, then it is slow, then it works fine...  When it is slow it can take 15 mins or more to boot up.  I tried booting in safe mode, but I just keep restarting before the drivers are loaded.  When I boot normally, everything seems to work but, very slowly.  The programs load and run if you wait long enough.  While I am online, Firefox will report that it is not responding and then it will finally catch up and open the pages.

When it is running normally it seems fine. I have tried scanning for viruses and malware, but I have not been able to find anything.  This is kinda driving me nuts because I know my way around the computer and I can't seem to find what is causing it to come to a stand still.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

Well, first you could try disabling startup programs that are unhelpful to you to speed things up. Then you could run CCleaner and/or Advanced System Care by IOBit (i believe) but don't use their registry cleaners. Then try defragmenting your hard drive. And if nothing else works, you should probably fresh install the OS to an SSD.

Edited by gigawert, 31 July 2015 - 02:02 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

Well, first you could try disabling startup programs that are unhelpful to you to speed things up. Then you could run CCleaner and/or Advanced System Care by IOBit (i believe). Then try defragmenting your hard drive. And if nothing else works, you should probably fresh install the OS to an SSD.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

@jtsnakester

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Well, first you could try disabling startup programs that are unhelpful to you to speed things up. Then you could run CCleaner and/or Advanced System Care by IOBit (i believe). Then try defragmenting your hard drive. And if nothing else works, you should probably fresh install the OS to an SSD.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

I know that, I edited my post.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users