Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does installing Windows 10 clean my registry?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

Hello,

So i had Windows 7 and i noticed my Computer's Performance had been poor. I have never cleaned my registry after owning it for 3 years so i assumed the registry has been clogged. I heard somewhere that installing a new operating system cleans your registry. So i just downloaded Windows 10. I noticed it didn't wipe my harddrive and it just upgraded, keeping my files. But did it clean the registry? 

Thank you

~Spencer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi there,

Cleaning the registry won't improve your computer's performance, so there is no need to do that.

You can check out this topic for some maintenance tips.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

Your pc has a new OS...essentially the 'registry' is clean.

Take Alexstrasza's advice...leave it alone.

Registry cleaners are snake oil....they prey on peoples lack of knowledge, and can easily destroy your PC.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hello FU5R0D4H,

You only want to mess around with your registry if there is something wrong with it...and even then, under guided supervision! Please try to avoid registry cleaners as well...you're really not going to gain much (if anything at all), and you take an extremely high risk of borking your machine by using them.

A slow computer is not a reason to try and clean your registry. Your best advice is to look elsewhere on your computer to fight poor performance, such as following some points in the page Alexstrasza linked to above. :thumbup2:

==========

...And if your computer is still performing slow after you've done some steps in that link, then feel free to post a new topic in the Am I Infected? forum for further assistance.

If you have any other questions about what could be the cause, don't hesitate to ask there as well! That's really what the subforum is designed for. :)

Best of luck,

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users