Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between console and broadband port?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

I was told that Ubiquiti routers are reliable, because my current ATT provided one isn't working well. This one looks good enough for me, but how is it different from an ADSL2+ router? Is the port shown below in the attachment (it is a port on my current router) the same as the "Console" port in the new router with simply a different name? I just want to know if it will work with the green cable I have now. 

Attached File  DSC04273.JPG   71.92KB   0 downloads

EDIT: Or do I not need any green cable at all?

Edited by gigawert, 30 July 2015 - 05:49 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

Adsl2 is a router with a built in modem.  A broadband port is not a modem port.  Nor is a console port anything but for connecting a pc/laptop in to configure the router.  It can not be used for anything else.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

What is a modem? Do I need it? Will the new router work in my network in place of the old router?

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

A modem in your case translates the adsl signal to a Ethernet signal.  So your connection would be adsl<>modem<>router<>lan

I would suggest you make it easy on yourself and just get a adsl router with the built in modem.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

We just called ATT and they replaced our current router with a new one (its coming) but apparently they didn't give us a choice of router. They did say though that it will be an adsl router.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

You will be fine then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users