Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiplayer games very slow, internet acting stupid in general

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

After a whole hour talking to AT&T trying to resolve this problem, you would think it would be solved. But no, ATT does not care.

Anyway, the Wifi strength bars remain at 5 most of the time but after a while the browsers don't work anymore and some multiplayer games don't work. To resolve this temporarily, I have to disconnect and reconnect multiple times before anything Internet will work. This happens with any computer in our home network. Usually when the browser isn't working it gives me a dumb message like "DNS_probe_started" (well i don't care about some dumb dns probe) then "DNS_probe_finished_no_internet".

Is there a permanent solution to this besides changing ISPs?

Edited by gigawert, 30 July 2015 - 04:36 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

It's your wireless access device.  if you're using the one provided by AT&T, this makes perfect sense.  I would replace it with a known-awesome device (ubiquiti is pretty solid) and you'll see this issue disappear.  Seen it thousands of times.  Cheers.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

You mean my router? It is provided by AT&T, but manufactured by Netgear.

EDIT: Cool! Ubiquiti is in my hometown!

Edited by gigawert, 30 July 2015 - 04:49 PM.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, AT&T does the same time Time Warner does, only they sell you the hardware instead of leasing it.  Their routers are years old and used (yes, even if it came wrapped in plastic), so they just refurb all the returned routers and resell them, knowing full well they have issues.  Always get your own device, but yes an awesome Wireless Access Point will cure what ails you.  Cheers.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

OK. So I could just toss the old unit, put the new unit there, but keep the cables?

Edited by gigawert, 30 July 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Is this a good one: https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

The only thing connected via ethernet right now in my network is a small web server.

#7 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

Would you recommend any of these:

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/gateways-modems.jsp

#8 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Well, you've already paid for the device, so I would definitely keep it, but just disable the wireless access.  Then, you can get another Wireless Access Point for around $70 that will fix all your issues.  Setting this model up is sooo easy and it will seriously never fail.  Cheers.

#9 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Well we just called AT&T to replace our router and it's coming, but they did not give us any choice for a router. I've read that AT&T does not accept routers you buy outside their website.

#10 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Nah, they do, but you have to make sure they will accept it.  Like Time Warner Cable says you have to buy the ones on their site too, but as long as it has certain requirements that are met, they will make it work.  In your case, you wouldn't have needed anything - you already had the modem.  All you needed to do was disable the wireless access on that device, then set up your new Wireless Access Point.  The WAP doesn't talk to AT&T - it talkes to your router, which you already have.  Shame you wasted that money.  :(  Cheers.

#11 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

At least I know for sure that a new router will work. I strongly believe that my old router was to blame.

#12 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Nah, it's the wireless transciever built into the router that's causing your issue.  Get a different WAP and it uses a different transciever.  The only time this doesn't help is when all PCs disconnect due to lack of signal at the modem, but you're not having that issue.

#13 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Oh well, it's too late now. But thanks anyway for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users