Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 matthew3

matthew3

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Hey just wanted to get peoples opinion on this site about Kaspersky and if you guys think its a valuable anti virus and is a good product...is it one of the best?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

IMO Kaspersky is one of the better anti-virus solutions.

See this discussion topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 matthew3

matthew3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

ok just wanted to ask cause i had it last year and it never really detected anything..was wondering weather it was either really good at blocking and security or if it wasnt detecting harmfull stuff...but il look around on the forums thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

Maybe the lack of detections is more the result of safe surfing habits and following best practices while computing than your anti-virus.

#5 matthew3

matthew3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

yah ...i know ...but i think kaspersky is good to..easy to navigate and doesnt have random norton like updates and stuff.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

I agree and that's why I previously said Kaspersky is one of the better anti-virus solutions.

#7 Jebstream

Jebstream

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

Kaspersky is consistently one of the highest rated AV/AS programs by at least two independent research organizations (e.g. AV-Test and AV-Comparatives).

Edited by Jebstream, 05 August 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

#9 matthew3

matthew3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TEST’s new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual test…they may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same “certification” as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

hey this might seem off topic but i didnt want to create a whole new topic for this...and since you know alot, is it necassary to download updates for Windows Defender , when you have an anti virus like Kaspersky?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates. Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. If Windows 8/10 Defender is disabled, there is no need to update the definitions...doing that can be done if you ever decide to remove the third-party anti-virus and activate it.

#11 matthew3

matthew3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates. Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. If Windows 8/10 Defender is disabled, there is no need to update the definitions...doing that can be done if you ever decide to remove the third-party anti-virus and activate it.

yah i have Windows 7 home premium ... so iv just kept the windows updates on notify instead of install automatically, and i usually just install the ones labeled as Important...and theres alot so i was curious if there important...and you said that it basically just supplements your anti virus if you have Windows 7...so im gonna keep on installing them.. thanks hey.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

You're welcome.