Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant figure it out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nolukjususkil

nolukjususkil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

My friend bought a computer from someone and it was running 2 psu's. 1 was a stock 350 watt that came with the case(crap psu) and the other was a 5 1/2? Drive bay psu 450 watts. He wanted to swap them for just 1 psu, because the drive bay was making a lot of noise (worried it was about to die) so I ordered him a corsair cx600 from newegg and a 1tb hdd. I installed it and the computer wouldnt boot up. I noticed his mobo has a 6pin gpu connector so I reinstalled the drive bay psu and just plugged that in, it finally boot up, but then I ran into a boot loop. Windows logo would come up run for about 10 sec or so then the computer would restart. I tried unplugging the new hdd, that caused the computer to not boot at all. Safe mode will start up with everything plugged in but I really couldnt find anything to help me from safe mode. His mobo is a msi 990fxa gd65 gpu is evga nivida gtx 560.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'd need the specs on all your hardware to determine if that new PSU is up to the challenge, but it sounds like it should be fine.  If your GPU is drawing power from a 6-pin connector, it needs to be connected to the PSU delivering power to the main board, as the rail under load balances everything correctly.  So what it sounds like is happening is the mobo powers up normally, then when the driver is initilized for the graphics card, it dies because it can't power the device correctly.  You may want to consider swapping the PSU for one that has a 6-pin connector, but I would definitely put your hardware specs here so we can make sure you have enough power for the entire rig.  Cheers.

#3 nolukjususkil

nolukjususkil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

well like i said, the only way i can get it to boot into anything (safe mode or windows loop) is with both power supplies running. the cpu is a amd fx 8350, ram G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, 320gb and 1tb hdd, dvd drive isnt plugged in right now. corsair cx600(600 watt) psu, msi 990fxa gd65 motherboard, and evga nivida gtx 560 gpu. the gpu uses 2 6pin connectors on the card itself. from what i have read there is a 6pin connector on the mobo also but it really only needs to be used with a multicard setup. but i cant get it running w/o it for some reason. the only thing the 450 watt drive bay psu is plugged into is that 6pin connector on the mobo.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

from what i have read there is a 6pin connector on the mobo also but it really only needs to be used with a multicard setup

Your  You're wrong.  That 6pin connector on the motherboard needs to be plugged in regardless of using multi cards.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 31 July 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#5 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

from what i have read there is a 6pin connector on the mobo also but it really only needs to be used with a multicard setup

Your wrong.  That 6pin connector on the motherboard needs to be plugged in regardless of using multi cards.

Your = Ownership.  You're = you are.  Still, you're absolutely correct - it doesn't matter your config - if you have a 6-pin input on the card, you have to connect it or the RAM won't initilize correctly when the drivers are loaded.  After looking at the hardware you have, your PSU is definitely your problem.  I would upgrade to a 750watt PSU that's manufactured by Antec:

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-80-PLUS-ATX12V-EPS12V-0-761345-25750-3/dp/B00O08NCQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438355927&sr=1-1&keywords=750+watt+power+supply&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_89%3AAntec 

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users