Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if this is related to the Windows 10 Upgrade, but...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

Guys & gals,

I have an Acer Aspire laptop computer that is running Windows 7 Home 64-bit edition.

I turned on my laptop a while ago and right-clicked on the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray and clicked on check status. I got a window telling me that a copy of Windows 10 had been reserved for me. I clicked on Go To Update Site and was given a message that a copy of Windows 10 was being downloaded to my computer. (I got this message without actually requesting a download.) A short time later, a window opened titled Windows Update and I was shown a button that I could click to start the upgrade process. I decided that I didn't want to update until I had backed up everything on my hard disk, so I closed the window and went upstairs to get my WD Passport 2 GB backup disk.

When I got back, the hard drive light was on almost continuously so I assumed that the computer was busy and I wanted to let it finish whatever it was doing before trying the backup procedure. A while later, I saw that everything had calmed down and when I clicked the Start button, I was shown the update shield next to Shutdown. So I decided to shut it down and then do the backup after the restart. When I was presented with the Logon screen, I chose the Administrator's user and let it finish booting up. I then got a window that told be that my system had been successfully restored to 11/7/2014 and that none of my data files had been affected.

11/7/2014...??? I didn't request any kind of restoration to an earlier date. Is this somehow related to the Windows 10 upgrade process? If so, how should I proceed from here? Or should I just go in and find a more recent restore point and put it back where it was?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users