Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 10 Download Failure 80240020

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:32 PM

MS tried to download my reserved copy of Win 10 last night. Update failed due to error 80240020. What should I do next? I probably will not convert to Win 10 right away but I do want it downloaded as it is supposed to be.  My current OS is Win 7. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hi Artbuc :)

Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    • net stop wuauserv
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    • net start wuauserv

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Aura. A little surfing tells me this was a common problem. the most common solution involves deleting as many programs/files as possible in windows\softwaredistribution\download and/or windows BT. I have gone in these folders and see several files which appear to be related to the WIN 10 download but I do not have the confidence to start deleting any of these programs/files. Your approach makes me more at ease because you are just renaming. I did not find your solution anywhere. How did you discover it? Thanks.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

I'm a Windows Update trainee from Sysnative, so I learn how to deal with Windows Update-related issues :) Also, all the content of these two folders can be safely deleted, as they'll be redownloaded when you try to install the updates again :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

I entered the commands. At the end it said service was successfully restarted. I did not get any messages after entering the the two "ren" commands. where can I check to see if the win 10 download is working?

Some of the programs/files in the folders have dates going way back before July 29, 2015. Can they also be safely deleted?

Edited by Artbuc, 30 July 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

Open another elevated command prompt and enter the command below:

wuauclt.exe /updatenow

This should trigger the download.

unite_blue.png

#7 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Aura, the commands deleted my Win update history. Is that expected? Everything ok?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

Yes it's alright. If I remember correctly, the history is contained in the DataStore folder. So if you simply rename it back, the history should be loaded back. For now, is your Windows 10 download started?

unite_blue.png

#9 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

I do not know if it has started. I went into control panel and checked for updates. It is looking for updates and I can hear the HD running but I do not know what is happening. How can I tell if Win 10 is being downloaded?

Update: Windows found 3 optional updates available, none related to Win 10.

Edited by Artbuc, 30 July 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#10 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

Aura, Win 10 is downloading now. I originally put a space between "e" and "/" in the wuauclt command. Win Update is saying "preparing for installation". I do NOT want to install now. Hopefully, win 10 will not automatically install without asking me first.

once complete, do I need to reverse the file name changes we made?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

Once Windows 10 will have been downloaded on your system, you'll be notified. From there, you can decide if you want to install it right away or later on.

And no, do not reverse the file name changes you did. This will just mess up the Windows Updates :P

unite_blue.png

#12 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Aura. This stuff scares the bejezzus out of me!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

No problem Artbuc, you're welcome :) And don't be scared, if there's anything, you can always ask for assistance here!

unite_blue.png

#14 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

No go! Download failed for same reason - 80240020. Apparently this has been happening to almost all who tried this or equivalent work arounds. Any other ideas?

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Do you have a USB Flash Drive?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users