Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win10 has been interesting and frustrating

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carbuff

carbuff

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

I am having an interesting yet frustrating experience upgrading to Windows 10.

Both my laptop and desktop have Windows 7 Professional OEM installed.

Notification for my reserved upgrade was received for my laptop.  The installation was swift, easy and immediately successful.

Notification for my reserved upgrade for the desktop has not yet been received.  So, I downloaded Media Creation Toolx64.exe from Microsoft and attempted to install Windows 10 directly onto my C:\ SSD.  It failed.   Got this message:

Code 80070652

0X800Y70004-0X2000D

The installation failed in the SAFE-OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

I attempted to install in the same way three additional times and failed each time.

I then took the Media Creation onto a flash drive and attempted to install that way.  When asked for the Windows Product Key, it rejected both the key that came with the desktop and the one I obtained when I changed from HDD to SSD.

FYI, I attempted all installs with the anti-virus disabled.  I also disabled both various apps and devices with each additional attempt.

I have checked many websites and Microsoft for a solution and have come up empty.  So, I will simply have to wait with frustration for Microsoft to inform me that my reserved copy of the upgrade is available to me to execute.

Edited by carbuff, 30 July 2015 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

Either way, apparently you can only do an upgrade first (click here).  There isn't supposed to be a key prompt for upgrade, as the OS you've got installed already, has it embedded somewhere.  The key prompt is for the Win10 key, which doesn't exist, until after the update.  So you cannot do a clean install until after upgrading.

In short, MSFT's own wording is terrible, as usual.  They force you to update from your existing system in order to verify your existing system is valid.  Merely typing in a key, is no longer acceptable to paranoid MSFT.  That's why installation is now so much worse.  How they think people will put up with it, I can't fathom.  There's a limit to how much abuse, people are willing to take.

Here, you need the Win10 usb/iso, in order to rescue your Win10 installation in the future, so you're abused yet again, by the poor explanation that you must accept the UPGRADE (through the system tray or tool) in order to install Win10 at all.  This is a departure, for you always used to be allowed dual-booting.  Maybe still are, but he instructions don't make that plain.

Edited by brainout, 30 July 2015 - 12:27 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users