Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Detected - Secondary Drive (Hard drive) is not

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DarkPenguins

DarkPenguins

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:36 AM

Ever since doing a fresh install of Windows 10, in "This PC", my secondary hard drive is not in the list. I have already tried right clicking "This PC" and clicking Manage -> Disk Management, but there is nothing there except my SSD with Windows 10 installed.

I have tried changing SATA cables, SATA ports, but it still does not appear in This PC. I have also tried installing my hard drive on a another computer to see if the files were corrupted. They were not, all files were still the same before the installation of Windows 10. I did not leave the hard drive plugged in during the installation.

In the BIOS, my computer recognizes both my SSD and my hard drive, but in This PC, it's still missing.

Anything else I can do? Thank you! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Legio

Legio

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

They were not, all files were still the same before the installation of Windows 10. I did not leave the hard drive plugged in during the installation.

Looks like the new os do not reconize the old table sitting on the 2nd drives (or the mbr of the drive).

many ways to correct that..how much work are you willing to do? Like backing up all the 2nd drive to a secondary location, perfrome a 2nd installation who include a format of the 2nd drive  etc etc   you get the idea...

#3 DarkPenguins

DarkPenguins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

They were not, all files were still the same before the installation of Windows 10. I did not leave the hard drive plugged in during the installation.

Looks like the new os do not reconize the old table sitting on the 2nd drives (or the mbr of the drive).

many ways to correct that..how much work are you willing to do? Like backing up all the 2nd drive to a secondary location, perfrome a 2nd installation who include a format of the 2nd drive  etc etc   you get the idea...

Unfortunately, I don't have another drive I can back up my files to at the moment.

#4 Legio

Legio

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow.

Let's do a basic "troubleshooting" here:

1) BIOS see the HD : good.

2) Other machine, other OS see the HD and read it correctly: so the HD works fine.

3) what makes one OS "blind" to a secondary HD?   - MBR
                                                                                          - Allocation
                                                                                          - File system.

First try to go to your manufactuere of your HD, there is always diag software and often, installing and running them "force" the OS the "see" the HD.
Then, "relocated" your HD from one sata connector to another
Then
In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and run it.

BTW: you should ALWAYS have a way to fully back up an HD..in case of faillure or need to re-format...
we will see then.....

Edited by Legio, 30 July 2015 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users