Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Like Akbar says: "its a trap!"

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Legio

Legio

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

I've been around the computer world even before DOS took over the place, before the birth of WIN 3.1; Have witnessed the plots and slow takeover of microsoft, the death of many very good OS (ex; Volstok commander), the alienation of Unix, the rebirth of Linux,   etc etc BUT for the first time in all those years: am scared, scared for the freedom of users, for the computer world,  for the international network (internet): in short:  For the basic rights and liberties of individuals.

By hitting at the two major sensible cords of everyday users ( been "free" of cost and been "userfree" in operations) it garantie the almost complete handover of all devices..to a software and a corporation who has proven for decades, to play according to its own ruthless rules.

Just like Facebook "let you" share all of your personal information with everyone ( while recording them for certain "agencies" to use agaisnt you at later time) Microsoft "free" update  and unification of all devices under its unique and very "Social" OS will accomplish more than J. Edgar Hoover never have dreamth of : absolute knowledge and control of all computers, and hence, of everyone...and yes!! that means YOU.

Like a good drug dealer, Microsoft gives you your first "hit" for free..and the second you do, you're trapped and cannot turn back. Imagine how much will the next "upgrade" will cost you? How or what be the "terms of sevices", oups! "services"? and since you're trapped under a single configuration with a unique product, you think you will have ANY choices?

Basically you will be placed in one single position : Accept all terms "as is"   - OR -  do not use any computer, phones or devices  (reminds you of someone else?)

As for the actual "benefices" or "pros" of win 10 (for a user) : there is none really: your computer will still run as fast or as slow as before, it will open your e-mail, messages and skype..basically, it will have the same abilities and limitations that it has before (unless you're a fool who believe that changing the gas octane level in your car give it a new engine and/or transmission!! it might improves it a little and for a little while , as its a new install for exemple, but that's it!). As per for microsoft and their long time partner, the NSA and all other agencies including marketing: its jackpot time!

DO not be naive: like "intelligent phones", deactivating features means only that YOU will not be able to use those features as they will be fully accessible by any agencies, partners (or smart hackers): a door is a door: it can be closed but always remain a way to get in for the ones who knows how.

I will be using Win7 in a module and as emulation within Unix a long as I can and in closed systems; for anything else, like my current phone,  "create and construct" a complete alias and accounts using fabricated credentials to secure my true identity and data. Win10, microsoft and all agencies can kiss my virtual arse.

"Knowledge is power and deniying others of knowledges about you is taking back the power they have over you". (Commonsens ~ cica 1999)

Edited by Legio, 30 July 2015 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on this yet.Gotta tell ya,I'm not at all computer savvy nor very literate so bare with me.I'm

68 years old and reading this brought me back quite aways.I have seen over the years what the government has forced upon us

under the label that it's for our own good.Also corporate America has also had quite an impact on our freedom,sorry wrong word,

should be liberty.I happen to agree with what Legio had to say to an extent.I think with MS,this is only the beginning.If you remember

back in the day,whenever a new OS came out,there was the same input,wether it be XP,Vista,7 or 8.1.I think back then everyone was concerned how easy it would be to learn or at least adapt to a new system.Everyone did overcome and it didn't take long for them 

to realize the worries and anxieties were for nothing.I think it's gonna be different now,people will realize we are being forced to abide by MS rules.It might not be right away but eventually.There is really nowhere else we can turn to.Buy Apple,way to much money.What about Linux,that's ok for the techies but what about Mom and Pop,what will they do.A very high percentage of folks just buy a computer to have fun and make things a little easier.MS can do and will do whatever they want and there isn't much most of us can do about it.That's about all I have to say except I came from a different generation and over the years I can see everything that we lost or has been taken away,just a thought.

#3 Legio

Legio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

@Plumber

Minix, Dos,  Win 3.1,  Win 95, Win98, Win ME,  Win 2000,  Vista,  NT,  XP,  Win7......

Tell me about it!  Just mentionning DOS, I remember the hours spent on configuring the rig to fit any software running under that OS (the joys of jumpers on cards for the ones who remembers...), I recall when every site, every governement and every compagnies where saying " create yoursefl an alias, do NOT give aways personal information to anyone etc etc " "your privacy is your first and last line of defence", a time where you where credited or punished for your acts..not what you might do, think or people you know no matter how remotely you know them......now its the opposite: you are forced to give (surrender) yourself entirely to sites and corporations, hounded for possibilities and probabilities... the accepted abnormality.

There is more and more users nowadays, and still, most of them have "basic" or "none at all" knowledge on how their device works; they THINK they know how to use it and how it work, but they know very LITTLE. (i read this forum and have sometimes a laugh reading "problems" that users "who thinks they know their way around a computer" have); That's where the danger of Win10 lies: using the lack of knowledge of users added with deviant legal babble and "accepted" abnormalities, such as "giving your governement ID via the web to a social network (and sometimes in a foreign country) to proove whom you are"  to get you.

Up to win7, there was ways to "block" what your computer says about you or what data you have; Win 8.1 with its "features for your convenience" started to remove your privacy and protection; With Win10 takeover, no one will have any security, privacy, liberties and rights: heaven for the NSA, other spy agencies, terroristes, thieves and hackers...which more than often, are the same or "work" for/with one another.

Linux may sound techy and intimidating, but its not; the only problem is that a lot of the games/programs you use, are not always compatible (yet) or require more knowledge to operate..a learning curve.

anyway I start to ramble....signs that I need another coffee

Edited by Legio, 30 July 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#4 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

The big joke about this is though, that every and any agency already knows everything about you. Long before you even registered at or started using websites, OS', etc.

If they want, they can access anything. Your medical records, your criminal record (if you have one), the places you lived at, the people you know, who your family is, and even more.

It's naive to say "Don't upgrade! Don't do this, don't do that!" But then ignore the fact that agencies and governments already know everything about us from the moment we're born in society. If you don't want these "agencies" to know anything about you or track you, alienate yourself from your identity and go live in a forest somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But I try not to worry about it too much. In this world privacy and rights are dead. You conform the moment you're born, whether you like it or not.

Edited by Foldingchair, 31 July 2015 - 05:16 PM.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#5 Legio

Legio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

I agree and disagree:

Since the beginning, i've never written my name anywhere online, never bought anything online, never did online banking, never uploaded a picture of me or a picture that I am on; even my former  facebook was done under an alias, without any info and without any link to anyone close to me AND no one who knows me ever wrote anything TO or about me ( a rule of mine); basically I have NO digital footprint at all.  Not a single shred of moi is on the web, anywhere, and thus, have NO digital footprint. And guess what, most agencies works only with digital footprint! They cannot make the link between a pure alias and a true ID if you do not have "something" for them to corrolate or bridge  the two. 

Lucky moi, I've figuerd this at the very beginning of the web and thus now , I virtually do not exist. Not that am a criminal or do weird things, Its a matter of principle and rule Numero UNO of security: you're your fist and last line of defence.

But with Win10, its a whole new ballgame: I will be linkin all the content of my computers and devices "online", provinding a complete profile to anyone listenning: my ID, my data, my habits, my friends...all of it. ESPECIALLY Win10 gives away your BIOMETRICS. a little "feature" that sceal your privacy coffin.

ANYONE with a little skill can now be YOU with those infos or virtually makes you do what ever they want..and there's will be nothing you can do about it! Its like someone leaving your DNA at a crime scene: good luck to proove your innocence!

Win10? No thanks!  I like to keep my private life, private and my security, secure.

Now, if you where not wise enough to have prevented your personal info to be "somewhere" on the web before, or you're the type telling facebook people everything you do..well...yeah, you're alrdeay screwed.

Edited by Legio, 31 July 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#6 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

I use an alias on Facebook, am on a dynamic IP address. I try not to leave a too large footprint everywhere I go. But the thing is, a lot of these agencies have enough money to (if they really really wanted to) still get access to your true identity. And they have godlike abilities to track people with the tiniest amount of data. Your e-mail address and IP address are enough. A lot of them usually don't choose to do so though because we're not worth their precious time.

Not to mention you have ALREADY left a footprint, both digital and analog when you signed up at your ISP. Your ISP knows everything about you as well. There's no reason to be naive and hypocritical about this, because it is what it is.

I won't blame you though. It's hard to know who or what you can trust these days. I'm skeptical about WIndows 10 in that regard as well. I have it on my secondary right now, and I just want to see how they're going to handle things. Hopefully they'll give us more options. Otherwise it's goodbye Windows, Hello Linux!

#7 deresahatar

deresahatar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

The big joke about this is though, that every and any agency already knows everything about you. Long before you even registered at or started using websites, OS', etc.

If they want, they can access anything. Your medical records, your criminal record (if you have one), the places you lived at, the people you know, who your family is, and even more.

It's naive to say "Don't upgrade! Don't do this, don't do that!" But then ignore the fact that agencies and governments already know everything about us from the moment we're born in society. If you don't want these "agencies" to know anything about you or track you, alienate yourself from your identity and go live in a forest somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. But I try not to worry about it too much. In this world privacy and rights are dead. You conform the moment you're born, whether you like it or not.

Now, that's funny... :rolleyes:

The government maintaining demographic data on you and some of this data is available to the general public, while others are not. They've been doing this since, well, there are governments, long before there were computers and internet. The medical records are a whole different ballgame...

It is the corporations collecting data that can be sold to advertiser and/or traded to data brokers, the internet had made this a lot easier for them. Increasingly, the same corporations combine the off-line and publicly available government data for more accurate identification that results in more efficient advertisement that increases the profitability.

Google had "pioneered" this business model and had been highly successful at it, mainly due to the fact that it was the only game in town for a long time. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc., followed and they had been just as successful generating large revenues. Microsoft has been trying to catch up with Google and others, took them some times to recognize or overcome internal opposition against this business model. The version 1.0 of that was Windows 8.0 and had been updated to version 2.0 with Windows 8.1. In these versions the end users would need to either optin and/or allowed to disable data collection. With version 3.0, a.k.a. Windows 10, all tracking and/or data collection enabled by default and some of them cannot be disabled. Presumably, moving the data collection to the OS and based on Microsoft desktop market share, MS may become the leader as far as advertisement revenue goes. Time will tell...

It is not naïve to say "Don't upgrade! Don't do this, don't do that!", provided that you object against advertisements served up by the operating system...

#8 deresahatar

deresahatar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on this yet.Gotta tell ya,I'm not at all computer savvy nor very literate so bare with me.I'm

68 years old and reading this brought me back quite aways.I have seen over the years what the government has forced upon us

under the label that it's for our own good.Also corporate America has also had quite an impact on our freedom,sorry wrong word,

should be liberty.I happen to agree with what Legio had to say to an extent.I think with MS,this is only the beginning.If you remember

back in the day,whenever a new OS came out,there was the same input,wether it be XP,Vista,7 or 8.1.I think back then everyone was concerned how easy it would be to learn or at least adapt to a new system.Everyone did overcome and it didn't take long for them 

to realize the worries and anxieties were for nothing.I think it's gonna be different now,people will realize we are being forced to abide by MS rules.It might not be right away but eventually.There is really nowhere else we can turn to.Buy Apple,way to much money.What about Linux,that's ok for the techies but what about Mom and Pop,what will they do.A very high percentage of folks just buy a computer to have fun and make things a little easier.MS can do and will do whatever they want and there isn't much most of us can do about it.That's about all I have to say except I came from a different generation and over the years I can see everything that we lost or has been taken away,just a thought.

I believe the correct word that you were looking for is privacy, when you talked about corporate America. They are the ones who took away a lot from us, albeit the government just allowing them to do so has a lot to do with it. And they've allowed it for number of reasons.

One is the lobbyist's bottomless "petty cash" briefcases and the other is corporations allowing government access to the collected data.

And yes, Apple devices are more expensive, but certainly have benefits. The default setting for OSX and iOS is opt-out, one would need to opt-in for Apple cloud based services for example. Apple devices also don't require an account to set up OSX and iOS. Try to set up a Windows phone without an MS account and see what happens. Even Windows 10 is getting increasingly harder to install without MS account.

I have MackBook Pro with OSX, Windows laptops and desktops mainly with Vista and Windows 7. There's about five years before I reconsider my options for the operating system. Certainly, Windows 10 in its current form will not be a candidate...

#9 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

If you're that bothered about advertisements, just block them out. Keep your system clean and use Firefox. I run Adblock Plus and Noscript on it just to be safe, and I have disabled any and every tracking setting that I can get to. I'm not worried.

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

Coming from a generation that is probably older than the median here at BC I can tell you that I am not about to accept the EULA set forth by MSFT in order to use their product(s). Free or Not. Call me "old fashioned" or "passé" or "behind the times" but I am adamant about giving up my "right to privacy" as I am any rights we have in the US.

I firmly believe that if enough people shout loud and hard enough that the "Halls of MSFT" would echo "Totally Unacceptable" for the current EULA. Then perhaps MSFT would take another look and back-track just like it did for "Forced Updates".

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

I have come to the conclusion that 8.1 will be my last Microsoft OS. I will eventually migrate to linux. I just can't deal with all this Hoovering MS is doing with 10. Have one XP dual booting with Ubuntu. XP is the coupon printer. :wink:

For all the real tin hats out there use Tails but I hear if you download it, you are put on NSA's watch list.

#12 deresahatar

deresahatar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

If you're that bothered about advertisements, just block them out. Keep your system clean and use Firefox. I run Adblock Plus and Noscript on it just to be safe, and I have disabled any and every tracking setting that I can get to. I'm not worried.

That's such a yesterday's method of controlling tracking, not to mention that it does not work in Windows 10 since it comes from the OS and not just the browser. And that's just tracking settings that you can get to, by your own admission... :wink:

You should look at Panopti based tracking that only the server has control of, not the client. You can block anything you want, but the remaining browser/system signature is still identifyable. Your system may show up like this at the Panopti site:

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 5,667,603 tested so far.

It's still going to have two dozens or so identifyable information for your browser/system, like mine does...

#13 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:50 PM

I do agree with Folding chair that anything about our privacy can be found out long before Windows10 came.That is not the point,when

you agree with the MS terms you are willingly giving them permission.Mark my words,it won't take long before MS locks there system down completely.If you think you can rollback to your previous OS,think again.You might be able to do it now but eventually you won't be able to.Once 10 is installed over your OS,you'll never see it again,stuck with10.I know there are a few ways to keep your previous

OS,but only one drawback,techies have the knowledge but mom and pop don't.Having someone spy on us without are knowledge is

one thing but giving someone permission to do it is outrageous.Do you realize that when the puters roll with 10 installed,how many they will sell to folks with limited knowledge.The way MS is doing this just rubs me the wrong way

#14 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Plumber, all I know is that I'm going to make a ton of money when Windows 10 is going to be rolled out with computers in stores, by having to help people with their problems, or cleaning up their mistakes, as well as informing inexperienced computer users and abusers. Corporations like Microsoft have always been collecting data and spying on everyone. Regardless of people agreeing to it or not.

#15 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

I guess that is what it comes down to,money.I just feel sorry for the older generation and the people that have limited knowledge,what are they to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users