Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How fast have you traveled on a bike?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

Or, what's the fastest speed you've traveled on a bike?

My top speed is 25 mph, downhill on my hybrid (road and mountain) bike.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

That's probably where I topped out at. Have you ever done a century?

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

No :(, the longest ride I've been on was about 24 miles.

Edited by gigawert, 30 July 2015 - 02:47 PM.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

I once rode from the San Francisco Ferry Building across the Golden Gate and down into Sausalito.  The downhill from the north side of the bridge was intense, just over forty MPH and in a pack of about fifty.   I ride 100 miles a week for exercise.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

On a bike which had a speedo on it - no idea of accuracy but probably no better than +/-10% - it showed just over 50 mph (80kmh)  on a hill in the Scottish Borders. Great fun at the time, scared the pants off me afterwards. No helmet, nothing. I have done 100+miles in a day but that was when I was a teenager, I discovered girls late !

Of course my teenage years were only yesterday.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Relative to what? I could sit on a bike at the side of the road, but I'd be moving at 29.8kilometres per second relative to the sun.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:52 PM

Relative to what? I could sit on a bike at the side of the road, but I'd be moving at 29.8kilometres per second relative to the sun.

Haha, very funny.

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Do the length of skid marks count...when the sneakers hit the pavement while falling off?

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:24 PM

Yes,

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

I clocked 40mph on my mountain bike going downhill pedaling really hard, had some pretty tall gearing also.  It was a long stretch of dirt road also and took a good push to get there.  I think my speedo was pretty close.  I've seen road bike guys at 50 going down hill in the mountains!  Pro's usually.

I rode my mountain bike from Florida to Colorado once.  Firstly up to West Virginia and then west to Denver.  Took about 2 1/2 months at 60-100 per. day, with breaks along the way.  Slept outside, so support - we carried our camping equipment, slept in a hotel about once a week to get a little break from the elements.  Sometimes...it would rain every day for a week, all our stuff was eventually wet lol it was tough.   We slept in some bad places at the end of really hard days in the saddle.  One time, it was late - and we set up the tent in partial darkness, only to wake up in a river of wash out from rain, no wonder there were no tree's in that stretch of land LOL.  We were Florida boys we knew nothing about this type of flooding.  We did not have helmets or rain-gear either, I could write a small book about it all lol.  All the cool people we met along the way and places we stayed.  It was back in 1987 and things weren't so bad across the country.  Now if you go to the places we stayed on a weekend it is packed with family's and such camping.  The traffic is much more dangerous these days also, don't know if I would do it again.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

Wow, that's a long ride!

#12 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

This is one of my best biking memories as a kid.  We were returning from Italy and driving over the alps. Shortly before we reached the pass, there was a sign that the pass was closed and we couldn't pass through. So knowing that the road was closed and there were no cars on it, my parents unpacked our bikes from the car and let us drive all the way back down to where the street split off. So awesome!

We were under strict orders not to go faster than 40km/h though.. and my dad was leading so that we couldn't cheat. It didn't feel particularly fast or dangerous, we would've loved to go much faster! (and we did later as adults, but I don't remember just how fast.. 40mp/h sounds likely).

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Wow, for me it seems a bit frightening going at 40 km/h especially if I'm thinking about what could happen if I fall off the bike... How about how fast you guys have gone off road? My fastest speed off road is 28 km/h.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, at 40mph you are hardly connected to the ground on a hard-tail mountain bike!  Newer, full suspended bikes weigh more and are more stable.

For me...likely a little faster off road, I was pretty fast, but never looked and didn't always have a speed o.  Mostly in CO. also, so there are some pretty good places to obtain speed.  Probably like 25mph, so probably like 40.2336 km/h.  Probably not a good idea to look at this point lol, I guess the speed o saves that info. for ya though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users