I'm not 100% sure where this should be posted, so I'm going with this forum and hoping it's right.
My computer is an Alienware 15, only 2-3 months old.
A couple weeks ago, I plugged my laptop into a surge protector that was in an outlet and heard a loud "pop" noise upon doing so. Everything seemed fine at first, but eventually the "disk" category under task manager started to show 100% use, even though when sorting the category it showed nothing was actually using it up. Some quick google searching, and I found a bandaid for that, in using the command prompt to stop 'superfetch' and 'windows search', which stopped the disk use, and while I knew there was still a problem somewhere, I haven't had the time to do more due to my job.
The same result that told me of the temporary fix in ending the two processes said to run a chkdsk.exe, and that normally is all that's needed to fix it. Upon running it, it always stops at 10% and stays there, no matter how long it's kept up. To make matters worse, upon waking up this morning, my laptop just showed me a black screen with 3 options, telling me something about the hard drive (I don't remember exactly, as when I went to get the message the computer booted up fine). It had an option to run diagnostics on the system, and when I did so, it told me there was no hard drive installed.
I'm hoping there's some way to fix this myself at home, as I have a job that requires the power my laptop has, and really don't want to have to send it out to Dell for repair/replacement. Though at this point it seems like that may be my best and/or only option.