Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThirdFool

ThirdFool

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

I'm not 100% sure where this should be posted, so I'm going with this forum and hoping it's right.

My computer is an Alienware 15, only 2-3 months old.

A couple weeks ago, I plugged my laptop into a surge protector that was in an outlet and heard a loud "pop" noise upon doing so. Everything seemed fine at first, but eventually the "disk" category under task manager started to show 100% use, even though when sorting the category it showed nothing was actually using it up. Some quick google searching, and I found a bandaid for that, in using the command prompt to stop 'superfetch' and 'windows search', which stopped the disk use, and while I knew there was still a problem somewhere, I haven't had the time to do more due to my job.

The same result that told me of the temporary fix in ending the two processes said to run a chkdsk.exe, and that normally is all that's needed to fix it. Upon running it, it always stops at 10% and stays there, no matter how long it's kept up. To make matters worse, upon waking up this morning, my laptop just showed me a black screen with 3 options, telling me something about the hard drive (I don't remember exactly, as when I went to get the message the computer booted up fine). It had an option to run diagnostics on the system, and when I did so, it told me there was no hard drive installed.

I'm hoping there's some way to fix this myself at home, as I have a job that requires the power my laptop has, and really don't want to have to send it out to Dell for repair/replacement. Though at this point it seems like that may be my best and/or only option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Before you consider sending the computer anywhere call Dell support and let them talk you through a check of the system. If there are problems your system should be under warranty and they can send you the parts to fix it. Do not void the warranty by trying anything more than some software / utility suggestions that you get here.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users