Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to rejoin domain after sysprep

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 redbulldog

redbulldog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

I have a Windows 7 computer that was joined to domain XYZ and I accidentally ran sysprep without first removing it from the domain.  I had the following options enabled - OOBE, Generalize, and Quit.  After that I restarted the computer and the computer was no longer on the domain, but was now in workgroup XYZ.  I changed the workgroup name to WORKGROUP.  Then I tried to rejoin domain XYZ, but I am getting a message that it can't find the domain controller.  I need to rejoin it to the domain, how can I do that?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

Can't find the domain usually means your workstation dns entries are wrong in that they are pointing to your router not the AD server which is also the dns server.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 30 July 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm guessing that this is a work machine.  You're going to have to have your work IT rejoin the machine to the domain.  They may insist on reimaging it to do so.  Best to admit up front what you did and hopefully your honestly will give them sufficient reason to be gentle with you.

You have to be granted the right to add machines to the domain, or a computer account must be created on the domain before you join.  Normally this is a closely held ability.  Frequently reimaging is the only solution as the machine is automatically added to the domain during the process and local IT does not have the rights to join machines to the domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users