Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create a New Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

On one of my computers I have the following situation on the only HDD:

1. *                                          Unallocated                  1.00 MB               Logical           None
  2. *  : System Reserved        NTFS                         100.00 MB               Primary          System
  3. C : Win 8.1                         NTFS                         458.54 GB               Primary          Boot (over 350 GB Free)
  4. *                                         Unallocated                   1.64 MB               Logical           None
  5. F : Data                             NTFS                          240.00 GB               Logical           None

I want to create a new partition of about 30 GB and install Windows 10 on that and not upgrade Win 8.1 to Windows 10 from the update. I will dual boot so that I can test the new system before installing it for keeps as a new installation and not as an upgrade. I don"t overtly prize upgrades and I do want to retain Windows 8.1 as long as possible. 

I can take the required space from the C: Win 8.1. Now are these two diminutive ragamuffin Unallocated spaces of any consequence? Can I delete them or move or merge these into C:\ and then create a partition from that.

How do I go about that.. ? ( I have AOMEI Partition Manager if that is any good or please suggest a freeware application where I don't need a PHD first to operate it!)

Thanks for some tips.

Bobang 

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Can't help with your problem but I can tell you this.You better create more than 30gigs.I created 100gigs and am already down to 75.Windows10 seems like a hog to me,for what it's worth.

#3 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:41 AM

Thank you, Plumber!

I fixed the issue. Unallocated space does need to be there. So I made a partition on C: which is a very easy process using the free software I mentioned. The rest amounts to only extending the new partition, drawing the ragamuffin "uncatalogued/unallocated" into that.

I made the partition to 50 GB, but this is only for testing purposes as I have a month to make use of the free OS. I want to see what all and the nature of info this Trojan is sending  or relaying to "Big Mamma Ship", and I really don't want to have Uncle Sam's tentacles and money-mad cows messing and manipulating my life.

Have a nice day in the meantime,

Bobang 

Bobang

in all things be men

#4 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

Glad you got things straightened out.