Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

Hi All

I am trying to get to grips with understanding Partitions and I have a particular issue on my PC that I would like to resolve

My PC is an HP Pavilion Slimline with Win 7 SP1

Disk 0 is as follows:

1) A system partition100mb No Drive letter noted as Healthy, Active Primary Partition

2) HP partition Drive Letter C 583.47 GB Noted as Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

3) Restore partition Drive Letter D 12.6 GB Noted as Healthy Primary partition

Item 3 is part of the original OEM install by HP to return the PC to its original Factory state. This does not work. In any event this partition is irrelevant because I use imaging software (Macrium and Aomei)

What I want to do as part of the learning process of Partition Management is to DELETE this D partition and to increase the size of the C partition. The final outcome being an enlarged C partition plus the small system partition. From what I have read I think I can accomplish this using Disk Management

However, I have some questions which I would be grateful for a response

1) If I go from 3 to two partitions what will happen to the disk images that I have (Macrium) some based on three partitions others on just the system and C partition. In other words can they be restored to what will be a two partition Disk0, or DO I HAVE TO RECREATE the deleted partition in order to restore the Macrium images?

2) What precautions should I take APART from making a boot disk (DONE and working)

Thanks

Terry

NB I did post a similar request in Wilders which did receive a response, but I am very nervous about changing the configuration of my hard drive until I am absolutely sure that my Macrium images can be restored in the event of a foul up

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2015 - 07:49 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Questions regarding Macrium Reflect...can probably be best-answered at the Macrium website or forum, IMO.

Louis

#3 TerryWood

TerryWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

Hi Louis

Why?

Is my response.

The question I asked is related to use of Disk Management and in relation to Disk Imaging it could apply to any Disk Imager not just Macrium. If the answer is I have to re create the deleted partition before putting the original image back on, why cannot experienced members here add their comments?

Thanks

Terry

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

Hi Louis

In addition to my previous comment Free copies of Macrium Reflect do not qualify for registering at their forums. So I cannot ask for their advice as you suggest.

Terry

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

If you expanded C: after deleting D: then used Macrium to restore your "Complete" disk image (System Reserved, C: and D:) before you expanded C: then your would have C: and D: as before and your expanded C: would be gone including all your data you added to expanded C:. There is no need to recreate partitions as Macrium would do this automatically from the information in the disk image.

Macrium allows you to restore one partition at a time from the disk image if I can remember correctly. If you decided to restore your original C: partition, it would remove your expanded C: partition and your D: partition would become unallocated space. I am not 100% on this so I can try this on an old drive with three partitions when I get a chance and confirm it.

Edit: I can confirm the above. I took a hard drive and partitioned it with 3 primary partitions.  I then did a system image backup using the WinPE boot disk created in Macrium to a USB flash drive. I then deleted the 3rd partition (D:) and expanded the middle partition (C:) to the end of the disk using a linux disk. I then restored the image using the WindowsPE disk and all orginal partitions were restored without creating them manually.

Using a linux disk again I deleted the 3rd partition (D:) and expanded the 2nd (C:) to take up the rest of the disk. I then booted the Macrium WinPE disk and selected only the C: partition to be restored. After restoration partition D: became unallocated space. In other words using Macrium you can restore each partition separately form a complete disk image.

Hope this helps.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#6 TerryWood

TerryWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hi JohnC_21

Thank you very much for clear reply and willingness to help.

Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users