Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to create a Short Cut on Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nelsonn69

nelsonn69

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:29 AM

Hiya People...Ive just installed Windows 10 & trying to get accustomed to it, now one thing is bugging me and thats i cant seem to create a Desk Top Shortcut whilst on a website, its only gives me 3 options when I right click as below:

Select all

-------------------

Inspect element

View source

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

This is the way I do it;

1. Move your cursor to the address bar of the website that you are on

2. Left click on the address to highlight the entire address

3. Right click and copy the address

4. Minimize the screen

5.Anywhere on your desktop, just right click the mouse and you will see a little menu

6. Go down to new, choose shortcut

7. Where it says type the location of item then you paste what you just copied and hit next

8. In the next screen label your shortcut and then hit finish

This little trick also works for files that you need access to a lot.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

I don't know if it works in Edge, but another way to proceed in Internet Explorer: simply go in the URL address bar, select the website icon on the left of the URL, then drag and drop it on the Desktop to create a shortcut. Alternatively, you can add that website to your Favorites, open the Favorites panel and drag and drop the website on the Desktop as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 nelsonn69

nelsonn69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

:clapping: Hey thanks Rocky!!, what a palaver though hey!!

#5 nelsonn69

nelsonn69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

...awesome thanks alot Aura!!! :clapping:

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:39 AM

No problem nelsonn, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:37 AM

@Nelson, then another trick:  rename the shortcut as you choose.  Then right-click on the taskbar and create a Desktop toolbar.  All those shortcuts will 'go into' the toolbar, so it becomes its own start menu.  Which, you can sort if you want, video here shows how.  The vid does it in Win7, but it works the same way in Win8-10.  So finally, you can right click on the desktop, then View, then uncheck 'show desktop icons'.  So now, they are 'only' in your tool bar.  You can do the same thing with Quick Launch, (in effect showing only three, but usefully accommodating) up to 80 icons in each toolbar (and you can create more toolbars, of course).  So the horrid Win10 new menu (much better with Classic Shell), is no longer in your way.

Edited by brainout, 30 July 2015 - 06:40 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users