Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think Clean Master messed up my registry.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ioana_a

Ioana_a

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

Ok so this is my first time posting here, so forgive me if I make any noob mistakes.

Two days ago I wanted to install a new game so I thought "Hey, cleaning up my pc would be a good idea. Clean Master worked perfectly on my phone so it should do on my laptop too." Stupid, I know. I didn't even check for opinions online like I usually do.

So I installed Clean Master and made it do a scan. After a couple of minutes, it said (yoohoo!) it could free around 12GB. Since I never had any problem with cleaning everything it found on my phone, and since I was feeling to lazy to check thoroughly, I just looked around the files it would delete, they seemed harmless at first sight so I just let it clean everything.

But next time I open my computer... Surprise! "The program can't start because WS2_32.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." At first I didn't panic. I clicked OK. The same System Error message popped up again, but for another app. And then another. And another. And then some more errors like "Could not load python dll" or something like that.

Turns out I can't use 90% of my programs because the WS2_32.dll error pops up. No Chrome, no Firefox, no Avast, Skyrim, no nada.

I first thought Clean Master deleted that dll file, but then I checked system32 and it's there.
Then I remembered seeing a "registry cleanup" thingie when I used Clean Master and thought it must have messed up my registry so bad it can't recognize the dll file.

I did a virus scan (with Windows Defender, because Avast isn't opening) and it only found and removed some minor thing (BrowserModifier:Win32/CouponRuc) that I think has nothing to do with my problems.

Therefore I thought I should resort to System Restore. But turns out the only system restore I had was the one made by Windows Defender a few minutes before. So, useless. I don't know why I didn't have any system restore, I used it before and I don't remember turning it off or anything. And since the system restore points are unreachable, I doubt Clean Master has something to do with them missing.

So... Now I don't know what else to try. Any ideas? Should I just get it to a technician?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:07 AM

Yes, I think you should go to a technician and ask about it. But I think you could also try to download the missing dll file and try what happens. This is a second option because going to the technician might be quiet expensive and you might not want to take a cost that is too much.

#3 Ioana_a

Ioana_a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

Well, like I said the dll file is THERE. Should I download it and replace it with the one I find online and see what happens?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Can you open Clean Master in Safe Mode. If you can then it gives the option to restore the items it removed from the registry. If that does not help. Tap F8 for Advanced Boot Options and select "Last Known Good Configuration"

Edit: You should have two WS2_32.dll files. One in Windows/system32 and the other in Windows/SysWoW64. Each a different size.

Open Computer and browse to Windows then in the search box in the upper right type in WS2_32.dll. You should also see them located in the WinSxS folder as a backup. Do the sizes correspond to the ones in the Windows System32 and SysWoW64 folders?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

You should never download Windows files...from any location other than Microsoft.

Bleeping Computer does not support any use of "registry cleaners", see Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494 .

I would suggest that you attempt a repair install of Win 7, after uninstalling the aforementioned "registry cleaner."  I would follow that up with a trip to Windows Update for all critical updates.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users