Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Upgrade Speculation LF advice.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saberkal

saberkal

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:01 AM

Hello There!

Let me introduce myself!Im alex and I am 20 years old.I'm into gaming and i spent lots of hours on the pc.I have little experience with building a pc.

I tried to upgrade my old Pc(which is 6 years old) and i made a huge mistake!!I bought a really new and expensive motherboard which i found on sale .It was too late when i realised the importance of the sockets on a motherboard and i couldnt sent it back :mellow:.

Here is the model:Asrock x99m extreme4.I also bought this cpu cooler Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO(not installed yet).

I can give you a list of my purchases so far so you can get a better picture of what i am building.

I will list the current hardware that i am using:

PSU:CoolerMaster G550M GM Series 550W(new)

MotherBoard:P55M-UD2(old)

RAM: 8GB G.Skill modules(new)

SSD:Samsung SSD PRO 256GB Evo(new)

HHD:an old HHD of 500GB(old)

CPU:i5 750 @2.67Ghz(old)

GPU:Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB OC(new)

The Motherbaord's socket is 1156 and i think it doesn't worth spending money.So i'm thinking on investing money for a new Cpu for my Asrock mobo.Aside from the fact that i have to buy new DDR4 modules 2011-3 sockets are way too expensive so i am confined to spend 400 Euros max

for the Cpu.

I got two cpu on my mind:

1)Intel Xeon E5-1620 V3 

2)i7-5820k 

So i wanna hear your opinion about this.What would you advise me to do!

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:02 AM

What do you want to use this machine for?  Normally you'd only go with a Xeon for server or CAD work.

#3 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

What do you want to use this machine for?  Normally you'd only go with a Xeon for server or CAD work.

Like i mentioned i made a mistake buying that mobo.So i can't buy another mobo.I want this pc or gaming/programming mainly.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:22 AM

If you bought the motherboard at a good discount perhaps you can sell it on without losing any money on it?  That would be worth trying.

Otherwise the Xeon is a fair bit cheaper than the i7-5820K (at least in the UK).  It has four cores (with multithreading) vs 6 cores (with multithreading) on the i7. Side by side comparison of features here = http://ark.intel.com/compare/82932,82763

Performance comparison of i7-5820K vs Xeon E5-1620V3 vs (LGA1150) i7-4790

The Xeon branding means it gets certain extra features that are not very useful for desktops, like the ability to address huge amounts of memory.  It should perform similarly to one of the LGA1150 i7's in a desktop PC.  Both are very powerful processors.  As LGA 2011-3 is a high end platform, nothing for it is going to be cheap...

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

If you bought the motherboard at a good discount perhaps you can sell it on without losing any money on it?  That would be worth trying.

Otherwise the Xeon is a fair bit cheaper than the i7-5820K (at least in the UK).  It has four cores (with multithreading) vs 6 cores (with multithreading) on the i7. Side by side comparison of features here = http://ark.intel.com/compare/82932,82763

Performance comparison of i7-5820K vs Xeon E5-1620V3 vs (LGA1150) i7-4790

The Xeon branding means it gets certain extra features that are not very useful for desktops, like the ability to address huge amounts of memory.  It should perform similarly to one of the LGA1150 i7's in a desktop PC.  Both are very powerful processors.  As LGA 2011-3 is a high end platform, nothing for it is going to be cheap...

tnx for your reply.

Well i have thought about selling it but i don't think that somone willl buy it..That would solve the problem because i could buy a new mobo for another socket..Well i think that i will need a powerful cpu in the future.I was thinking of streaming..Sometimes i use photoshop.So i could use this expensive cpu..I just wanted to know if  it is an overkill for gamers.

I dont have many options..Our stores dont have variations of this socket so i have to choose between these two..ahm yeah i was thinking of going with Xeon as it is cheaper than the i7..I think the difference is not that high ,right?I  think that there isn't big difference between the two cpu.I also checked passmarks website..The i7 has better value/price...hmm ill think about it tnx

Edited by saberkal, 02 August 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#6 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

Ok i have decided to try and sell the mobo and buy a new one..I have seen that 1150 socket cpu prices are very low comparing to 2011-3.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:40 PM

Ok i have decided to try and sell the mobo and buy a new one..I have seen that 1150 socket cpu prices are very low comparing to 2011-3.

It's a wide range.  Socket 1150 start from cheap low end desktop (i.e. Celeron) to high end (e.g. i7-4790K).  The socket 2011-3 CPU's start at high end desktop (i7 series), all the way up to very expensive server CPU's.

Personally I went from an i5-750 to an i5-4670K (the i5-4690K is a better choice now).  Was a decent upgrade.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

Personally I went from an i5-750 to an i5-4670K (the i5-4690K is a better choice now).  Was a decent upgrade.

Tnx for helping with this out :)!!I will go for i5-4690K i can afford it!!here is the new problem now!! What mobo should i buy..Im looking for mobos but i am never sure if that's the right choice..I want a good mobo for my rig.I wont go for crossfireX i think m/e-Sata is optional because i use ssd and M2 socket is not  necessary for the same reason.Ahm do you have any suggestions..i was thinking of making another post about mobo suggestion..I will keep looking forums!

#9 User1012

User1012

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

Tnx for helping with this out :)!!I will go for i5-4690K i can afford it!!here is the new problem now!! What mobo should i buy..Im looking for mobos but i am never sure if that's the right choice..I want a good mobo for my rig.I wont go for crossfireX i think m/e-Sata is optional because i use ssd and M2 socket is not  necessary for the same reason.Ahm do you have any suggestions..i was thinking of making another post about mobo suggestion..I will keep looking forums!

Are you planning to overclock your CPU later on? If yes, choose Z97 chipset motherboard.

#10 saberkal

saberkal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

Are you planning to overclock your CPU later on? If yes, choose Z97 chipset motherboard.

Ahm is there anything else that i should look for?Should i be worried about material of the mobo or something else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users