Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart DNS Proxy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gretchcynare

gretchcynare

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:27 AM

Hello! I think I did something bad to my computer!  :mellow:

I spent a month in Africa and wanted to use Netflix there, so I searched google on how to go about doing that and Smart DNS Proxy popped up. It seemed to have good reviews so I followed their steps: they had me go into my System Preferences (on Mac OSX) and change my DNS Server to a number that they had listed on their site. I did that, restarted my computer and Netflix didn't work. I'm obviously great with technology so of course it didn't work  :crazy: 

..ANYWAY, now every time I open Pandora or other websites I am redirected back to their home page, and I see ads every where for Smart DNS Proxy. 

on some webpages such as bleeping computer a certificate pops up in the upper part of my screen telling me to continue or cancel, and when I continue I am again redirected, but not when I cancel. 

HELPPPP so annoying, and for the love of Netflix.  :kiss:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gretchcynare

gretchcynare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

and to add to my long list of issues: my internet is terribly slow on my computer, but perfectly fine when I use my phone. 

Edited by gretchcynare, 30 July 2015 - 01:36 AM.

#3 lasacarasa

lasacarasa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hi, the reason you are being rerouted is because your free trial is over and you are still using their DNS on your computer. You just need to remove their DNS from your mac > network > dns section. So you will go back to your local ISP DNS.

I actually use them in my summer home for over 3 months and it has been very reliable. I'm a network engineer and will try to explain in a simple way why you were experiencing such issue.

Smart DNS Proxy is a secure DNS service which also provides online access to other countries streaming services. In order to do this you need to use their DNS server on your computer. Because this is not a public service, they have a verification process from your IP address. When if your IP address is not registered in their network, you are being routed to your My Account Login page, when you are trying to access one of the services they are unblocking. So you can click ACTIVATE IP button in your account and register your IP address to their network. Afterwards service should continue to allow you to access their private dns capabilities.

I hope this will help you. Just for now, as you don't need to use their service, simply remove their DNS from your computer and everything will be back to normal for you. :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users