Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto update to windows 10 ruined me

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bradliquid

Bradliquid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:34 AM

Any suggestions? I forgot to switch off auto updates and now Windows 10 auto updated/installed now hardware not functioning correctly, drivers aren't being recognised, can't install drivers from Disk, unable to connect to Internet. I have no OS disk to reformat or a restore point to revert to

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:23 AM

i think there is no option to rever back to windows 10 to windows 8/7 version. if you have recovery disk then go to revert back try to install fresh window 7/8 if having recovery disk

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:24 AM

Hi Bradliquid :)

You can easily do a Recovery to the version of Windows you upgraded from if it's been less than a month. Follow the instructions in the article below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/go-back-to-your-previous-version-of-windows

This is assuming you still have the windows.old folder on your C: drive.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Bradliquid

Bradliquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:40 AM

I tried to do this, got to 99% on the "reset" and the power went out. Now it's back on I'm getting an error that prompts to a restart.

""The Computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "Ok" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.""

I do as this programmable overlord demands just to end up with The BIOS screen loading then the message "missing operating system"

I'm guessing the files are corrupt and or missing for the installation....

I'm not all that computer savvy either so kinda struggling. Anything I can do in the boot options? Or will I have to face the music and buy a new OS?

Edited by Bradliquid, 30 July 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

It looks to me like the OS has indeed be damaged due to the power shortage. It's never cut to lose power during a recovery and/or installation of Windows. Do you still have your installation media for Windows 8.1 or 7?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Bradliquid

Bradliquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

That's what I was thinking, no I don't have the software. The only cd's I have are "dell drivers and documentation" and "Alienware area-51 resource DVD"

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

Then you'll need an installation media or Recovery one. You can order it from Dell for your laptop model specifically.

unite_blue.png

#8 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

They also message me about updating to Windows 10 but I never did. Its really difficult to understand. I think vpn also help me to be safe from this auto updating thing  and should ask for my permission before doing anything.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Yes, Windows 10 will NEVER self install. It is definitely a user enabled update.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Bradliquid

Bradliquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

I reccomend organising yours prior to installing windows 10 (if you choose to). Back up all your data to disk and set restore points. My graphics cards weren't working after the update because I didn't have the software to install them.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

I reccomend organising yours prior to installing windows 10 (if you choose to). Back up all your data to disk and set restore points. My graphics cards weren't working after the update because I didn't have the software to install them.

Sounds like you got Windows 10 installed pretty easily. Yes, always back up before you start into an adventure like this.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

They also message me about updating to Windows 10 but I never did. Its really difficult to understand. I think vpn also help me to be safe from this auto updating thing  and should ask for my permission before doing anything.

To be clear, the update to Windows 10 will never happen automatically, it is always something that is initiated by the user. Make sure you have a couple of hours set aside for this great adventure.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Bradliquid

Bradliquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

I do recall starting the installation process while mid raid in the game "ARK". Just caught me buy surprise when I was printed to restart to begin installation.

#14 Bradliquid

Bradliquid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:03 AM

And so now here I am staring at my service tag in the CMOS Setup utility and trying to navigate Dell Australia's support page.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

I do recall starting the installation process while mid raid in the game "ARK". Just caught me buy surprise when I was printed to restart to begin installation.

You shouldn't be doing anything when launching the upgrade process, obviously. It's an installation after all, not a background task.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users