Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate (SATA): 54 C...Hot!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blnd_E

Blnd_E

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Hello Bleepers,

249.pngSummary

Dell Inspiron One 2320 All-In-One

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i5 2400S @ 2.50GHz: 
45 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 050NT9 (CPU 1)

Graphics
23" AIO (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Dell)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (Dell): 
48 °C

Storage
1863GB Seagate ST32000641AS (SATA): 
54 °C
2794GB Seagate Backup+ Desk USB Device (USB (SATA)): 
39 °C

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT30N

254.pngOperating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Tablet

Issue:

I was alerted by a BC moderator that my HD is too. 

SEATOOL was run, result = green (Good).

I am concerned about the state of my computer.

What can I do?

I am a little worried about opening an ALL-IN-ONE computer up to clean for dirt.

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

Well all-in-one computers have lots more overheating issues since all the parts are confined in a small space and therefore never last as long as desktops or even laptops, but that's all I really know about this.

Possibly your hard drive is always active?

Edited by gigawert, 29 July 2015 - 09:58 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 dariansdad

dariansdad

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

Hard drives are notoriously left without cooling in all-in-one PCs and laptops but on the positve side, it doesn't really matter unless you reach a critical point, say, around 75°C.  This would indicate a severe problem with the hard drive and probably with the system. The hard drive doesn't really have a temperature dependency for efficiency and you are well within the range of long-term survival.

If it really bothers you, upgrade to 16GB RAM, create a RAM drive (8 to 12 GB) and put your swap or paging file out there.  That will significantly reduce drive activity and may reduce the temperature.

Lastly, all systems need to be cleaned if you intend on keeping them healthy.  Just like you wash your clothes or your dishes after you use them, your computer gets dirty, too. But don't try to put it in the dishwasher ;-P

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

I would question the wisdom of waiting until a hard drive reflects a temperature of 75 Celsius...when the 50 Celsius mark is the fairly well-recognized upper limit before problems for hard drives.

Seagate Says...

Louis

#5 Blnd_E

Blnd_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone.

Louis,
What would you reccomend?
Should I open up & clean?

#6 dariansdad

dariansdad

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Louis is not wrong about what Seagate says. However, Seagate also has a team of lawyers designed to protect their interest as far as warranty and product reliability go. Having used computing machines in the field in 125+ degree weather I can assure you that hard drives regularly exceed 70 degrees Celsius and perform without failure for hundreds of hours.

That given, I would not want to see my hard drive exceeding the 50 degree mark for fear that there is some imminent problem that's going to cause a failure.

I'm sure Louis will agree with me that, yes, you should clean your machine.

#7 Blnd_E

Blnd_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

DARIANSDAD,
Thank you. Will do.
Suggestions if that doesn't work?

#8 dariansdad

dariansdad

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Really, nothing further than what I already recommended about cleaning and expanding the RAM. If the cleaning doesn't help you need to find out what the cause of the drive heating is. If it's from the drive over working then there is a systemic problem that there are others on this board more suited to solve for you.

Run your task manager and click on performance to find out whether the drive is being worked constantly or if there's a page swap problem.

#9 Blnd_E

Blnd_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

DD,
Great! Will do.
Good point. I am experiencing a malware issue at this time, as well. It might very well be something that has hijacked or just a program that wants to do whatever, whenever. I will sluth that out.

I'm going to go clean all my computers...lol.

Many thanks.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

Every hard drive which I have personally had (I only have personal experience to draw on) developed problems when the temp exceeded 50 Celsius.  My mentality is always to replace such drives, since the temperature rise is interpreted by me as an indication that more problems are coming.

Cleaning a computer...is basic maintenance, akin to backing up, routinely running chkdsk /r, and such.

If your CPU is NOT overheating...I would suspect that cleaning the system is unlikely to yield any positive results re a troubled hard drive.  OTOH...I've been wrong many a time in my life.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users