Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hangs on Login Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

I am working on an HP Envy 15 Notebook. Whenever I, or the notebook owner, try to boot into normal mode, it makes it to the background for the login screen but does not bring up the login window or the desktop. It makes it past the windows 7 splash screen. We have been able to successfully boot into Safe Mode and able to manipulate files, such as copying her files to a backup drive in case we have to factory reset this laptop. She has said that the laptop has made it to the desktop this morning but it took at least an hour to finish loading her desktop. Last night she was unable to load her desktop.

I have tried using System Restore in both safe mode and startup repair to multiple restore points but every one fails. I have tried Startup Recovery from the windows startup repair. 

The laptop was purchased in March this year, so is still very new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit - I have managed to get into Normal Mode after setting a clean boot in Safe Mode.

Edited by Falneth, 29 July 2015 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

As you got into Windows with a clean boot, start enabling things from the clean boot (I suggest 5 or 10 at a time) and see which one's are causing the system to not boot.
Then uninstall those things and see if it can boot normally.

The rest of this is if you can't solve it by fiddling with the clean boot items.....

Which is more important - speed of the repair or retaining her settings/customizations/etc?

Have you run the HP diags?  Any other diags?

Do you have the recovery media?  is it in good shape?

Have you run DISM/SFC? (DISM instructions below)

Have you tried a Refresh?

Beyond that, it's probably easiest to wipe it and let her set it up again.

That way she'll have her system back soonest.

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users