Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my PC. Looking for advice on new GPU and PSU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kodie53

Kodie53

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hello, 

My Corsair RM650 PSU just died, and I dont want to be without my tower for the multiple weeks it will take for the RMA.

As such, I decided to take advantage of this situation and kill 2 (maybe even 3) birds with one stone, by upgrading my PC.

[I plan on Buying a new PSU/GPU with amazon prime shipping so it gets here quickly, then I will sell a friend both my GPU and the PSU I get from the RMA.]

My current build is:

MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU:  I7-4790
GPU:  EVGA 780 Classified 
RAM:  2x 8GB DDR3 (16GB)
PSU:  Corsair RM650 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5

I'm looking to get a new GPU and PSU.

My current GPU isn't enough for me, and since I'm also looking for a new monitor, I know it won't be able to handle the games I play at a higher res and frame rate.

I am looking at a single, high range card such as the Zotac 980ti Amp! Extreme, and was looking for opinions and other options.

Secondly, I cannot decide what PSU to get for my system now, I thought i would need ~750W, but all the calculators I'm using keep recommending 400W PSUs. As such i would like some help deciding on which PSU to get, I'll be buying a new one regardless, due to both impatience and having promised the RMA'd one to my friend.

Any and all Comments/Help appreciated, Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

According to the requirements of the GTX 980 Ti, a PSU of 600W is required.  Of course, if you add more cards in SLI you will need a better PSU with more wattage.

3939.png

#3 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

I'd go with a 750 just to make sure future upgrades will be ok.  Also, get a good name brand like Antec or something.  Cheers.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Other brands to consider are Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, and Enermax.

3939.png

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

The EVGA GS line is getting great reviews for their efficiency on load and design

I recently bought this BenQ monitor for my son who plays a lot of counter strike and loves it.

The video card you picked (980ti) is currently one of the best affordable graphics cards on the market .. since any more and your paying a grand for a Titan.

The reason why you don't need a more beefy power supply is because as architecture of the die for the processor improves, and they are able to fabricate onto a smaller chip, performance increases as power requirement goes down since it is an improved design and smaller.

#6 CaptainGhetto

CaptainGhetto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Why not EVGA G2 650W? The G2 is step up of GS series. 

#7 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

Other brands to consider are Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, and Enermax.

Cosair and EVGA are two of my favs as well!  Good call.

#8 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

For comparison, I got an EVGA 550W running on a pair of 660's in my current rig. Even SLI'd, the machine hasn't gotten taxed yet with the likes of Witcher 2/3, Skyrim (running about a hundred mods), or Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I will say 600W minimum is what you wanna aim for. 750W's can be had for great prices (I recommend Corsair or EVGA)...as for video card, I do recommend the GTX 970 (preferably ASUS Strix brand). The 980 isn't justifiable at this time with its price v performance ratio. You're still getting 4GB VRAM all around with the 960, 970, and 980s (least on the ASUS Strix brand), great performance...

Edited by TheLaughingITMann, 06 August 2015 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users