Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hello i am spencer,

I have a laptop with windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and i have pre-ordered Windows 10. I haven't got the notification to install it. But that is the least of my problems. It is now telling me that Windows 10 won't work with my Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter and that i won't be able to connect to the internet if i install Windows 10. How do i fix this? I really wan't windows 10.

Thank you,                                                                                                

~Spencer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

Hi FU5R0D4H :)

If you want, you can disable that device and upgrade to Windows 10. Since it's a virtual adapter, it is not the one you are using to connect to WiFi networks, so even if it doesn't work in Windows 10, it won't cripple you or anything. Plus, maybe you just need to reinstall the drivers once you are upgraded to Windows 10. Another user got the same message a few weeks back about a Virtual Adapter and ignored it in my advice. Unless you do virtualization, you usually don't use/need them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

Ok. that makes sense but it says i might not be able to connect to the internet and that my PC will have problems running Windows 10. HOw do i disable it. and how do i download windows 10?

Edited by FU5R0D4H, 29 July 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#4 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hi FU5R0D4H :)

If you want, you can disable that device and upgrade to Windows 10. Since it's a virtual adapter, it is not the one you are using to connect to WiFi networks, so even if it doesn't work in Windows 10, it won't cripple you or anything. Plus, maybe you just need to reinstall the drivers once you are upgraded to Windows 10. Another user got the same message a few weeks back about a Virtual Adapter and ignored it in my advice. Unless you do virtualization, you usually don't use/need them.

How do i disable Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter. and how do download windows 10?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

You can download Windows 10 from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can disable the adapter by going in your Device Manager, then under Network Adapters, right-click on it and select Disable.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

You can download Windows 10 from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can disable the adapter by going in your Device Manager, then under Network Adapters, right-click on it and select Disable.

Thanks! I disabled it and my internet still works. i can tell because i am replying to you with it disabled. A few questions about the link you gave me. I Reserved Windows 10 and it told me it will notify me when ready. if i download it from that link, will it recognize it as a free upgrade from windows 7? And Will it wipe my computer completely? And will all of my Software that i use now work on Windows 10?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

I Reserved Windows 10 and it told me it will notify me when ready. if i download it from that link, will it recognize it as a free upgrade from windows 7?

Yes it will. If you have a Windows 7 product key, it'll recognize it as a free upgrade.

And Will it wipe my computer completely?

No. The media creation tool allow you to upgrade the system on which it's ran (and to keep your personal files or not) or create an installation media to install Windows 10 on another computer.

And will all of my Software that i use now work on Windows 10?

If no software were reported by the compatibility checker of the "Get Windows 10" app, then yes they'll work as intended on Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#8 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

I Reserved Windows 10 and it told me it will notify me when ready. if i download it from that link, will it recognize it as a free upgrade from windows 7?

Yes it will. If you have a Windows 7 product key, it'll recognize it as a free upgrade.

And Will it wipe my computer completely?

No. The media creation tool allow you to upgrade the system on which it's ran (and to keep your personal files or not) or create an installation media to install Windows 10 on another computer.

And will all of my Software that i use now work on Windows 10?

If no software were reported by the compatibility checker of the "Get Windows 10" app, then yes they'll work as intended on Windows 10.

Thank you for everything! i am downloading Windows 10 right now! 

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

No problem, good luck with the upgrade :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users