Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

By downloading Windows 10 you are allowing Microsoft to spy on you

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
390 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Downloading Windows 10? Here are a few things you should know about Windows 10 : Privacy issues that come with it and PDF Manual for understanding the Microsoft’s new Operating System

Window 10 has finally arrived on many users PC/Laptops and they must be busy exploring the Microsoft’s latest offering. There are a lot of things users of Windows 10 should be aware of, and one of them is privacy while other is understanding the features of Windows 10.

We had already warned you that Windows 10 Technical Preview, when it was launched, was a keeping track of everything the beta tester did within the operating system. However as it was a TP, Microsoft had a right to know about the behaviour of its operating system through user feedback before the final product launch.

But now, Microsoft has released the final version of Windows 10 and it has come out with a brand new Privacy Policy and Service Agreement which users should carefully read to know about the implications of privacy if they use Windows 10.

The Privacy Policy will go into effect from 1st August and here are a few controversial points which you should know about.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/by-downloading-windows-10-you-are-allowing-microsoft-to-spy-on-you.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

:thumbdown: Not for me!

Data syncing by default:Microsoft will sync settings and data by default with its servers. This includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords. This is pretty much like how Google Chrome sync works, however, if you are not comfortable with sharing your usage habits you can deactivate it from settings.

Good thing!

Microsoft’s personal virtual assistant, Cortana is a online snooping antennae for Microsoft.

How can snooping be legal?

Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user on each device. That can be used by developers and ad networks to profile you and serve commercial content. Like data sync, you can turn this off in the Setting menu > Privacy> general > Change privacy option. Disabling all the buttons in the Change privacy options will opt you out from the Microsoft advertising network.

Good to know!

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

This is the most disturbing.  Microsoft is not the government, CIA or FBI?  I am not comfortable with this?

NickAu: Thank you for this update!  Yikes!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,790 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

Its not snooping, Because you agree to it in the EULA.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

Not concerned, as this happens in the mobile world too

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#5 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

Data syncing by default:Microsoft will sync settings and data by default with its servers. This includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords. This is pretty much like how Google Chrome sync works, however, if you are not comfortable with sharing your usage habits you can deactivate it from settings.

Good thing!

Questions for the experts:

1:

Will the above happen using private browsing default setting?

2:

Will browsers privacy add ons become absolete in W10? 

3:

Is MSFT providing a similar options like Google Chrome Sync of the last paragraph in the quote,  in red ?

Regards,

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 29 July 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:23 PM

I dont mind if they collect data to try improve Windows, but I dont like where they use it for marketing

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,693 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

I dont mind if they collect data to try improve Windows, but I dont like where they use it for marketing

That is what is know as "Windows as a Service"  :rolleyes:

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

JohnC_12 post#7, you say "windows as a service", but it sounds more like the user is providing a service to microsoft, another of these "you are the product" things.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Good thing!

Microsoft’s personal virtual assistant, Cortana is a online snooping antennae for Microsoft.

Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user on each device. That can be used by developers and ad networks to profile you and serve commercial content. Like data sync, you can turn this off in the Setting menu > Privacy> general > Change privacy option. Disabling all the buttons in the Change privacy options will opt you out from the Microsoft advertising network.

Good to know!

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

This is the most disturbing.  Microsoft is not the government, CIA or FBI?  I am not comfortable with this?

NickAu: Thank you for this update!  Yikes!

Microsoft,  :nono: .

:scratchhead:  :o

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Funny how to comment in that article, you must use Facebook, which insists on real names.  If that's not violating privacy, I don't know what is.  I loathe Facebook.  They steal your addresses even after you quit.  I was solicited by Facebook in the name of invitations to 'join' by friends who had already left the dang place months prior, and never even knew about it.  That's how I know Facebook steals your address book, retains it even after you leave, and then fakes invitations in the name of people who left!

So too, funny how rare this kind of Win10 reporting is.  I've been nagging PC World, PC Mag, ZDnet, Computerworld etc. all to address this issue.  They do nothing.  I understand how the data is intended to be used, but I also understand that spit happens.  And when it happens, it happens to me.

This and the troublesome opposite problem in the EULA, that your eligibility to get updates depends on you having 'OEM support' (keep reading down through the ** in the lifecycle page, here).  So if you have no warranty, you can't get updates, even if you can get Win10? What's the point, then?  I made a video on it, here, so I'd not feel guilty realizing the import of that ** language, which no one is discussing.

These things, and the mandatory updates, creep me out.  I don't doubt MSFT cares about my privacy. I'm not at all concerned whether NSA knows, either.  I care very much whether some ex-employee walks off with a blade that has my clients' data, on it.

So I just deleted the only folder that might have any sensitive data in it (really old stuff, used to test).  Most of the time the Win10 is offline, but now it will only go online for updates.  It ends up being the deciding factor: I cannot afford the lawsuit risk of some confidential breach. So no Win10 machine will ever have personal or confidential data.  So then it's not worth using.

And none of the pundits care to address this obvious issue?  How much will folks become angry, once they know?   :ranting:  

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 07:21 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

The most important thing is : how many of the upgrading users are aware of these settings and how many will turn it off.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#12 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 652 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

Funny how to comment in that article, you must use Facebook, which insists on real names.  If that's not violating privacy, I don't know what is.  I loathe Facebook.  They steal your addresses even after you quit.  I was solicited by Facebook in the name of invitations to 'join' by friends who had already left the dang place months prior, and never even knew about it.  That's how I know Facebook steals your address book, retains it even after you leave, and then fakes invitations in the name of people who left!

So too, funny how rare this kind of Win10 reporting is.  I've been nagging PC World, PC Mag, ZDnet, Computerworld etc. all to address this issue.  They do nothing.  I understand how the data is intended to be used, but I also understand that spit happens.  And when it happens, it happens to me.

This and the troublesome opposite problem in the EULA, that your eligibility to get updates depends on you having 'OEM support' (keep reading down through the ** in the lifecycle page, here).  So if you have no warranty, you can't get updates, even if you can get Win10? What's the point, then?  I made a video on it, here, so I'd not feel guilty realizing the import of that ** language, which no one is discussing.

These things, and the mandatory updates, creep me out.  I don't doubt MSFT cares about my privacy. I'm not at all concerned whether NSA knows, either.  I care very much whether some ex-employee walks off with a blade that has my clients' data, on it.

So I just deleted the only folder that might have any sensitive data in it (really old stuff, used to test).  Most of the time the Win10 is offline, but now it will only go online for updates.  It ends up being the deciding factor: I cannot afford the lawsuit risk of some confidential breach. So no Win10 machine will ever have personal or confidential data.  So then it's not worth using.

And none of the pundits care to address this obvious issue?  How much will folks become angry, once they know?   :ranting:  

It all creeps me out too. Big time. Just cancelled my reservation for the damn windows 10 thing.

If win 7 gets to the point in the future where it's impractical to use, will go to another OS. Recommendations, anyone ?

And not a google product - please.

Edited by jargos, 30 July 2015 - 12:20 AM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

Of course Windows 10 is free it pies on you and they hand that info over to whomever they please. The problem there is once that info is shared it's out of their control as far as being "Secured". I know Microsoft was gearing up for this for years and has been gathering info since XP. They been looking to build a flagship with all new spy capabilities. They always say they want to keep your info safe, but they want you to trust them in holding those keys and data; after they blantanly say they are going to spy on you and share that information. LOL Holy Christ in a basket what a paradox of reversed logic. I am telling you man... Windows 10 is chocolate coated Rat Poison. I was looking forward for something new, but didn't know I had to give up all my civil liberties and right to privacy. I mean that one statement of getting your data out of your private files ought to scare people. Private means Private. Now they also want your router wifi passwords and other network passwords too. LOL I mean come on guys.

Edited by technonymous, 30 July 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,419 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

It all creeps me out too. Big time. Just cancelled my reservation for the damn windows 10 thing.

If win 7 gets to the point in the future where it's impractical to use, will go to another OS. Recommendations, anyone ?

And not a google product - please.

Linux baby, linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

There is no such thing as a 'free' lunch'.

Microsoft are simply throwing out a sprat to catch a mackerel.

I have pointed this out ad nauseum in quite a few pre release windows 10 posts.......Microsoft are in business to make money. They are ruthless, and greedy. They have a huge "flock" to keep fed. Giving away $100 or so each time a OS is deployed to someone somewhere is chicken feed.....they are after far bigger fish to fry.....and what is the hottest commodity in the world ??......Information. ...Yours.

That will be the driving force behind the 'free' lunch.

(as well as mega bucks from business and whatever else they have buried in the depths of their abhorrent mind sets)

Time for Linus to step forward ?....

"I am a lazy person, which is why I like open source, for other people to do work for me," Torvalds said in response. "I like to sit on the beach with a floofy drink and let you guys do all the work... I’m coasting, right now I’m coasting—I don’t have any projects I’m working on.

Just imagine the fall out if he really put his mind to it !!!

Edited : Grammar

Edited by Condobloke, 30 July 2015 - 05:23 AM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users