Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 is out and available immediately via the Windows 10 Download Tool

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Today, Microsoft released Windows 10 and has made it available so you can upgrade Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users for free. For those who have previously used the Windows 10 Reservation app, Windows 10 should start to download to your computer and then prompt you for installation. For those who are impatient, and want it immediately, you can download the Windows 10 Download Tool and start the upgrade immediately.

To start upgrading, visit the following link and download the appropriate download tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once it has downloaded, double-click on it to execute the program.

windows-10-download-tool.jpg

At the opening screen, you can choose to automatically upgrade to Windows 10 or create a bootable ISO or USB flash drive to upgrade another PC. Upgrading is a much easier process as it will automatically detect your product key and install Windows 10 over your existing Windows installation. For those, though, who wish to perform a clean install, you will need to find your product key first. Information on how to do this can be found in Microsoft's Windows 10 FAQ.

If you have any questions regarding this process, feel free to ask for help in this topic or the Windows 10 forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Article_86

Article_86

• Banned
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

I woke up this morning and ... AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.   nuff said

#3 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

This is what I did and it worked beautiful!  

pa9d6f-4.png

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

I woke up this morning, turned my PC on, and got no "Update ready" windows, just my Windows 10 desktop. Lol

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#5 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

it would pay to check the pricacy issues in the w 10 forum. And to do some research.

WOW !!!

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#6 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:39 AM

I installed it today, and have been playing with it for a a while now.

So far it's been very clean, and I have even gone back to IE 11, and things have gone pretty well so far.

#7 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

While it's being downloaded, you may notice a folder in your root drive called $Windows.~BT ... I had this last night but the "Get Windows 10" app didn't tell me that I was ready yet.  Searching online has revealed that you should NOT run any setup.exe file you see in that folder or its subdirectories.

So if you suddenly find yourself with a folder called $Windows.~BT, don't interfere with it.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#8 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

And if anyone who tries it doesn't really like it after fiddling around with things, you can always revert back to your previous OS.  Simply type Recovery in the search bar and you will see "Go back to Windows 7".  

I am enjoying it so far, granted I played with the Enterprise version beforehand so had the knowledge of what was going on before its release.  

#9 CharlesT

CharlesT

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

Im going to hold off on installing this for a few months  :guitar:

#10 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

Windows 10 is a virus. This file infector is so sinister, it tries to install an inferior OS on your computer.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:14 AM

At the opening screen, you can choose to automatically upgrade to Windows 10

As I just got a new (Second hand) laptop with Windows 8.1 on it I decided why not. I chose the Upgrade option.

This is the laptop

Product description

I have the I5 with 4GiB of ram 500 GiB HDD.

It had W8.1 so I factory reset it to get rid of the previous owner, When that was done I used the upgrade tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and now have WinX.

It was quite painless, the whole process took about 2 hours including updates and downloading Windows. So far my PC works as expected, Everything works, I had no issues with sound, video, or WifI, All work as expected.

I am impressed, I love the notifications panel and the little pop ups, Ok it looks kinds cool. I see the settings panel looks and acts a lot like the settings panel in Buntu distros, Again, Nice. The new browser is ok, But I will be getting Chrome and FireFox.

Am I impressed enough to ditch Linux. NO. but I will be keeping Windows 10 on this laptop for now mainly so I can break Windows,

Next I am going to mess around with installing Ubuntu along side Winx, Then Install Ubuntu on USB and SDD and see if there are any issues.

EDIT and Update

Dual booting Windows Ten and Ubuntu 14.04 done.

Dual Boot Windows Ten And Ubuntu 14. Easy To Do.

Edited by NickAu, 01 August 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#12 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

At the opening screen, you can choose to automatically upgrade to Windows 10

As I just got a new (Second hand) laptop with Windows 8.1 on it I decided why not. I chose the Upgrade option.

This is the laptop

Product description

I have the I5 with 4GiB of ram 500 GiB HDD.

It had W8.1 so I factory reset it to get rid of the previous owner, When that was done I used the upgrade tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and now have WinX.

It was quite painless, the whole process took about 2 hours including updates and downloading Windows. So far my PC works as expected, Everything works, I had no issues with sound, video, or WifI, All work as expected.

I am impressed, I love the notifications panel and the little pop ups, Ok it looks kinds cool. I see the settings panel looks and acts a lot like the settings panel in Buntu distros, Again, Nice. The new browser is ok, But I will be getting Chrome and FireFox.

Am I impressed enough to ditch Linux. NO. but I will be keeping Windows 10 on this laptop for now mainly so I can break Windows,

Next I am going to mess around with installing Ubuntu along side Winx, Then Install Ubuntu on USB and SDD and see if there are any issues.

EDIT and Update

Dual booting Windows Ten and Ubuntu 14.04 done.

Dual Boot Windows Ten And Ubuntu 14. Easy To Do.

You still cant do live recovery CD's right?

#13 Nangle

Nangle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

I have windows 7 on both my desktop and my laptop.....after the last nightmare with windows Vista I am leary about downloading windows 10....If I do and don't like it can I go back to windows 7?.......and how long will MS support windows 7?

#14 oryx

oryx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

How can I tell if Windows 10 will support my hardware? I can't find any type of upgrade advisor.

#15 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

@ Nangle, "Microsoft will stop mainstream support on January 12, 2015. But the company will keep providing extended support until January 14, 2020."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users