Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Windows 10, questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

I'm having Windows 8.1 right now, if I upgrade to Windows 10 and I do a factory reset, will it go back to Window 8.1 or Windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi Pat(rick) :)

The Factory Reset will use the System Image currently stored on your system. So if you bought that laptop/computer from a manufacturer, it'll use the manufacturer image which is the Windows version you had installed when you first bought your device. In that case, if it was Windows 8.1 it'll be Windows 8.1.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

ahh... then in 2 years, if i do a factory reset, i won't be able to keep windows 10 then :(

#4 wpmac

wpmac

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

I would think you could burn an image of your working win 10 and restore to it if any major issues would come up. Would that not be correct?

#5 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

how long would that take?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

You'll be able to keep Windows 10, yes. You can create a System Image of your Windows 10 installation using a free software like Macrium Reflect Free if you want. You can even store it on a partition and use it for a Factory Reset using OneKey.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 wpmac

wpmac

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

I received an email from microsoft saying that i have used all my apps and devices up on this one upgrade. What the heck are they talking about. The only devices I saw was something to do with HP, and i have not installed any apps from Microsoft. This is a fresh win 8.1 install.

Edited by wpmac, 29 July 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hi wpmac :)

Since your issue seems unrelated to the question asked here, it would be better if you created your own thread asking about it.

unite_blue.png

#9 wpmac

wpmac

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hmmm. This happened with the upgrade, but ok.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

Even there, your question and the one asked by Patrick isn't the same :)

unite_blue.png

#11 wpmac

wpmac

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

Sorry i asked. I'll figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users