Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory "Number of Component" - Is more better?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RECACER

RECACER

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Not sure how to ask this so there it goes...

Trying to narrow down the definition of Number of Component when it refers to memory sticks.  Based on the following information, would either perform better than the other...

*Both unbuffered 2gb DDR3.  All other specs, except for "Number of Component", are identical.

Organized as two ranks of 256Mx64 (2GB) high-speed memory array. Modules use sixteen 128Mx8 (2GB) 78-ball BGA packaged devices.

Organized as one rank of 256Mx64 (2GB) high-speed memory array. Modules use eight 256Mx8 (2GB) 78-ball BGA packaged devices.

Comes from same manufacture.

If more information is needed, I will happily supply (if I can).

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Here you go

9 vs 18 chips

#3 RECACER

RECACER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thanks, although I'm not sure how that answers my question. 

In regards to performance, is there a benefit of having a 2gb stick with 2 ranks/16 modules (chips) vs 1 rank/8 modules (chips)?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

I don't really think you would see a performance difference but some architectures are 'not compatible' with some motherboards.  So it really comes down to what will work in the system.  If both of those types of chips will work than you would probably not 'see' any kind of a performance change in either one.

#5 RECACER

RECACER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thanks again!

I was worried about that.  I think I'll stick with the same exact sticks that are currently in my XPS.

Take care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users