Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP laptop stuck after CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DrewLow

DrewLow

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

I got someone's old laptop with Win XP on it.  It has a lot of problems which I was going to ask for help in another thread, but now I have a new problem.

I ran a CHKDSK while in Windows, and it told me it couldn't complete in read only mode.  I set it to run the next time Windows starts.  Now it's in an endless cycle of scanning.  It will scan (which takes hours), reboot and scan again.  If I hit a button to skip the scan, it hangs and won't start Windows.  If I try to boot to Safe Mode, it hangs as well.

The last thing to load before it hangs while booting to Safe Mode is:

WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys

I'm lost, I don't know what to do at this point.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Drew

Edited by DrewLow, 29 July 2015 - 01:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

I'd suggest posting over in the XP forums as I haven't worked with that in many years.

Here's a link to it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Best idea here is to replace the hard disk and do a fresh install of XP.  Then, you can connect your old drive with an adapter and drag-and-drop all your data to the new drive. Cheers.

#4 DrewLow

DrewLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Best idea here is to replace the hard disk and do a fresh install of XP.  Then, you can connect your old drive with an adapter and drag-and-drop all your data to the new drive. Cheers.

I got the laptop from someone else, and I can't afford a new hard drive.  Even if I could, I have no installation discs.

I've been able to get into Windows now, but still running slow.  I'll ask for help in the other forums.

Thanks for the help.

#5 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

No problem, but it's going to keep running slow until the disk is replaced.  You can always run CHKDSK /R from the command prompt, then hit Y and reboot, but this is a temporary fix.  Cheers.

#6 DrewLow

DrewLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:12 AM

No problem, but it's going to keep running slow until the disk is replaced.  You can always run CHKDSK /R from the command prompt, then hit Y and reboot, but this is a temporary fix.  Cheers.

When I ran CHKDSK last time, I got stuck in a never ending loop.  It would run the scan, find no errors, reboot and run the scan again, repeat, repeat, repeat.

#7 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

That means it can't repair the issue.  If check disk can't fix your problem, you need to replace the hard drive.  Cheers.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

Please download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso to CD on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. If a Windows 7 computer is not available use Imgburn to create the bootable disk. Depending on the age of the computer, you may be able to use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive instead. If using Rufus select MBR as a partition scheme and where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the Parted Magic iso file and press start. Backup any data you have on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

After booting to the Parted Magic Desktop double click the Disk Health icon. It may be called Gsmart Control. Do a short test. If it passes do the long generic test. Save the results as a text file and post the results. Look under the attributes tab for any pink or red rows.

main_failing.png

info_testing.png

#9 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

Please download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso to CD on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. If a Windows 7 computer is not available use Imgburn to create the bootable disk. Depending on the age of the computer, you may be able to use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive instead. If using Rufus select MBR as a partition scheme and where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the Parted Magic iso file and press start. Backup any data you have on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

After booting to the Parted Magic Desktop double click the Disk Health icon. It may be called Gsmart Control. Do a short test. If it passes do the long generic test. Save the results as a text file and post the results. Look under the attributes tab for any pink or red rows.

main_failing.png

info_testing.png

Or you could just install HDSentinel.  Cheers.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

HDSentinel needs to be installed and the OP can't login to Windows. HDSentinel needs to be purchased and PartedMagic is free.

#11 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

HDSentinel needs to be installed and the OP can't login to Windows. HDSentinel needs to be purchased and PartedMagic is free.

Yeah, you got me on that one.  +1 JohnC_21

#12 DrewLow

DrewLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

I posted earlier that I can get into Windows now, Post #4.  This isn't a hard drive issue.  The hard drive is fine, I've ran tests on it, plus multiple virus/malware scans, no problems.

I downloaded and installed a temperature monitor, and I believe the problem is overheating.  It throttles down when it gets too hot.  I will check the heat sink and fan to see if one of them is the culprit.

I appreciate the help!

Drew

Edited by DrewLow, 31 July 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#13 DrewLow

DrewLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

OK, I decided to check the hard drive, just in case.  I don't have a CD, so I used the USB program.  Booted to the USB and nothing happened.  There was no program to run.  I went back and got the CD ISO, extracted that to my USB drive, but again, no program to run.  There are no EXEs, or anything to run a program from the ISO or the USB version.

So I'm stuck.  I guess I'll try to find a hard disk program that's free on CNet.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

You can use Rufus to boot a USB flash drive but because you can login to Windows, GsmartControl is available for Windows here.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Downloads

#15 DrewLow

DrewLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

You can use Rufus to boot a USB flash drive but because you can login to Windows, GsmartControl is available for Windows here.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Downloads

I think you missed my point in my last post.  I booted to the USB drive fine, but there was no program to run in DOS after it booted.  There's no EXE or COM or anything to run for HDSentinel.  I'll try GsmartControl.

EDIT:  I just went to the page you linked to for GsmartControl.  It's for Linux, I'm running Windows XP.

Edited by DrewLow, 02 August 2015 - 10:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users