Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Access Point to WAN port of Router?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miked333

miked333

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

I'm a little confused about how to set this up but I will do my best to describe the situation.

We have 2 PCs that need to be connected to each other by ethernet (wireless will not work for this software, or at least not reliably). Both PCs have their wireless connections disabled.

I work in a room with no ethernet jacks at all. There is a wireless network available for guests. This office is very security conscious so we are not allowed onto their internal network at all.

I want to connect the 2 PCs to the LAN ports on a router. The router will have DHCP enabled to handle the IP addresses.

I would like to have internet access on the PCs too, so I'm wondering if I can get a Wireless Access Point, configure it to connect to the wifi network and then plug it into the WAN port of the router.  This would keep our little 2-user network separate from the rest of the office

Will this give the PCs an internet connection through their ethernet cables?

If this will work, can you give any recommendations of an inexpensive router and access point (preferably on Amazon)?

I truly appreciate any help that anyone can give me!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

Well wireless is still involved in the setup of it, so it will still be buggy and may not work. I suggest just running an ethernet cable in the ceiling to each other's PCs and drill a small hole in the wall for the cable to come out, or if you want to be correct, get one of those white panels.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

You could just connect the two pcs with a Ethernet cable directly to each other creating a small lan by using a different subnet then the wifi and not entering a gateway entry.

Your plan would work but you would need a wifi extender and a router not a AP and a router.  I can't make any recommendations concerning hardware.  My Netgear extender is working great though so that might be a consideration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users