Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer specs for running adobe Photoshop cs6

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bechelle

bechelle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

What would be the ideal computer to run this software? I'm considering an Asus i7 with 8RAM. But I had a Toshiba that ran slow on 12RAM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Any computer with 12 GB of RAM shouldn't run slowly unless it has a virus. The Asus should be OK if it also has a good GPU. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Its not about the brand and RAM. Could you give us the exact processor and GPU model? And are we talking about desktops here?

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

I'm not saying specifically that Asus is good, but that the Asus they mentioned should be OK.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 bechelle

bechelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks gigawert!

#6 bechelle

bechelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

N00bBuilder. I figured out what CPU is. Still not sure about GPU. I am looking at laptops.

The specs are in the link below. Thanks!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/3466017.p?id=1219582884796&skuId=3466017

#7 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

It says GT840M graphics. That should be good enough.

You're welcome!

EDIT: The CPU is more than adequate for photoshop (which is a good thing).

Edited by gigawert, 29 July 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#8 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

You should have a Desktop for better working.

Intel i5 and 8GB Ram is fine.

For Graphic Card(GPU) Nvidia Quadro is fine.

fseDQlO.jpg

#9 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

According to the system requirements for photoshop, you actually don't need a super powerful GPU like a Quadro to run it. I just wouldn't recommend anything below a high-end i3 for a CPU.

#10 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• 1,147 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

Those are Photoshop's minimum system requirement but if you want to work very smoothly then need those specs.

i3 is just fine because Photoshop doesn't use CPU much.

Why 8 GB ram? - If you ever have to create a Large document (E.g. Big Banners/Posters) or you working with many layers which result in GBs of ram usage, then you need it.(in addition you will be able to run multiple Apps smoothly while working in photoshop)

Why Quadro? - If you want to do 3D work in photoshop then you need it.

1GB GPU will be good enough.

Besides you will also able to play good games :P

fseDQlO.jpg

#11 bechelle

bechelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

Thanks to each and every one of you for answering. I decided on an Asus i7 intel quad with 2G nvidio ddr3 GPU 64 bit 8 RAM can upgrade to 16 RAM. I used too many layers on my last photoshop project and I work in real time creating my own work besides editing photos.

Thanks again!

#12 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• 1,147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:49 AM

Nice specs   :thumbup2:

fseDQlO.jpg

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

Don't know why everybody keeps talking about high-end video cards for Photoshop. PS has never needed a video card. Now, due to it's 3D features, it does. However, a quadro/firegl would be a waste. Any decent enough gaming card is plenty for Photoshop. It all depends on what 3D stuff you are doing. If it is character texturing/painting maybe get a mid-range video card. But, I doubt it will matter.

#14 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• 1,147 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Don't know why everybody keeps talking about high-end video cards for Photoshop. PS has never needed a video card. Now, due to it's 3D features, it does. However, a quadro/firegl would be a waste. Any decent enough gaming card is plenty for Photoshop. It all depends on what 3D stuff you are doing. If it is character texturing/painting maybe get a mid-range video card. But, I doubt it will matter.

Its not just because of 3D work.

No graphic program can work properly without GPU.But we able run common graphic programs because CPU chip has inbuilt GPU.

If there is no GPU available then CPU will have to do it work which will lower the performance.

And there some features that require compatible video card(The reason why you have to choose proper GPU Card).

Mercury Graphics Engine

The Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) represents features that use video card, or GPU, acceleration. In Photoshop CS6, this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects and the Oil Paint filter. The new MGE delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.

MGE is new to Photoshop CS6, and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia. 

Read more: What PhotoShop features use the GPU?

Edited by Tenis, 26 August 2015 - 08:55 PM.

fseDQlO.jpg

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Its not just because of 3D work.

No graphic program can work properly without GPU.But we able run common graphic programs because CPU chip has inbuilt GPU.

If there is no GPU available then CPU will have to do it work which will lower the performance.

Read more: What PhotoShop features use the GPU?

Except for that time I used Photoshop/Illustrator/Kid Pix/Etc with 0 video cards. Not every feature uses the GPU. Most everything Photoshop does uses the CPU. As the years have gone by Adobe have improved some of Photoshop's features, such as filters, to use the GPU. Today the program has become somewhat dependent on GPU, but it has not been a requirement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users