Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Windows] Paid vs Free Software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

Well the more I am learning about security the more I am beginning to wonder if Paid software is sometimes better than free software. I am becoming almost convinced that it is possible to make your whole system secure without paying for any other security software. The thing that might be of benefit to of paying for security software might be that it's convenient and a good thing for the lay computer user to rely on.

One thing I did wonder about was real time protection. But there are some free ways of doing this too.

One tool that I did recently come across is K9 Web Protection. Not only is this a parental control program but it also has real time protection and blocks against malicious websites. This program seems to be doing the same thing that some premium software does but all for free. The only annoying thing I find about this though is the amount of time it blocks things prompting you to either allow or go back. But it's the ideal solution, especially if you are a parent or teacher. While I'm at it (And I admit I am digressing a bit here) I'd also like to mention a few other benefits of the program and that is it also blocks anonymizers, VPN's, Proxies, etc. And there is no way of bypassing the program unless you have the admin password. If your interested you can get this here: http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Anyway what are your views on Paid software vs Free software. Albeit I do use premium stuff myself that I am very happy with but I am beginning to wonder if this all necessary at all or not. Anyway over to you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

An offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version. By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

If using an older operating system like XP, then read...

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users