Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please explain how to list and uninstall windows updates via comand prompt

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

Please can someone post a quick explanation of how to do 3 things.

I know there are command prompt codes for each of these things, but I do not know precisely what the codes are. I recall having seen othrs post them before, but couldn't find the posts where they were mentioned.

The first thing: How do I search for a full list of all installed updates via the command prompt?

The second thing: How do I use command prompt to search for the presence or lack of a particular updates "Do I have KB....... installed or not?" so I know quickly whether certain updates are installed rather than having to manually check down a very long list.

The third thing: How is removal of particular updates done from the command prompt "computer, please uninstall KB......., don't interfere with any other updates"?

I think that the answers to these are similar for all modern windows systems, but I posted in the windows8 section as the machine I wish to quickly check for certain updates on is a windows 8. machine.

Thank You

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 10:49 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Good things I have canneds for that :P

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    • wusa /uninstall /KB:$NUMBER
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;
rONW46K.pngSearch for a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to search a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    • wmic qfe | find "KB$NUMBER"
  • If the update is found, this command will return a line with the installation KB name, installation and Microsoft Support link for it. If it's not, nothing will appear;
  • Let me know if the update was found or not;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for this and thanks for being so quick, but I need to clarify something about those commands.

Where it says

" wusa /uninstall /KB:$NUMBER "

would that be typed into command prompt as (for an example with one update which I dislike)

wusa /uninstall /KB:$3035583

or

wusa /uninstall /KB3035583

or

wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583

And where it says
" wmic qfe | find "KB$NUMBER" "

are the quote marks around the kb number supposed to be included in the command or not.

Although it should be uninstalled already on my machine, could you provide an exmaple using KB3035583. Seeing how the commands appear or aparticular update will probaby let me see how they are written more clearly than showing them with a "put the relevant number here" note. Please show how it would be typed for that update, or for any other given update with a particular 7 digit kb number, so I can see how the number is to be written. It's just that in typed commands like this it isn't always clear what bits of the command you have shown are the actual command and which bits are quote marks and colons to indicate where a user puts text of their choice.

Thank You

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 12:15 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

I use $ to define a variable, which means that it changes. For example:

wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583
And

wmic qfe | find "KB3035583"
Is it good? :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Thank you, that's helpful and clear.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, this worked well, I was able to check all the updates I was concerned about.

Can I just ask one more thing, I found one nasty update ( KB2976978 ) in my "installed updates" list. It is near the bottom if viewed in the list which can be accessed from within "windows update" in "control panel". It, and some other updates down near the bottom of the list, do not have the option to uninstall, right clicking on them desn't give the option and there is no option at the top of the screen either when these ones are selectd, other updates nearer the top of the list have the feature to uninstall , visible both upon right clicking and at the top of the column.

Will this command line method let me uninstall an update which is unable to be uninstalled from the "Installed updates" list?

Would it be safe to use it for removing such (KB2976978) an update? Does anything have the update as a pre-requisite? Is that update built into the KB2919355 "Update 1"? Would that be the reason it can't be uninstalled from the cotrol panel?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#8 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

I gave it a go, and got an error message saying it couldn't be done because KB2976978 is "required by your computer", how could an update which does this posibly be "required" for a windows 8.1 machine without KB3035583 or any other such gwx stuff on it?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

It's most likely required by another Windows Update. And that update came after KB2919355, so I doubt it's "built-in" in it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

How would I go about working out which update requires KB2976978, so I can get rid of that one and then get rid of KB2976978?

The precise error message given when I try to use the command prompt method to remove this update is

"Windows Update Standalone Installer
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2976978) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled." The only option is to click ok on this little box which pops up.

Where would I look for information?

I don't want KB2976978 hanging around, I want it gone.

Your idea that another update needing KB2976978 is present makes sense, because there are a lots of updates (all somehow claiming to have been installed on 22/11/2014, which is impossible) which display this same refusal to uninstall, they could all be due to the same update or few updates requiring them.

Thanks.

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

One solution would be to uninstall it in Safe Mode and see if it changes anything. Trying to see if there's a way to see if an update is a prerequisite for another one.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

Please note, the only system images I have any more are those made after the upgrade, the windows 8 system images made before upgrading no longer work (as far as I am aware) for windows 8.1 systems. So I can't use any form of "go back to before the problem" to uninstall this nasty update. It is as old as the current system, due to it being bundled into the windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade.

#13 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Tried safe mode, I booted up through the advnaced restart options and chose number 4 (safe mode), I got into it and opened command prompt. I put in the command

wusa /uninstall /KB:2976978

but got an error message from "window update standalone installer" saying the following "Installer encountered an error: 0x80070002 the system cannot find the file specified". I also tried

wusa /uninstall /kb2976978

and got exactly the same error.

I also tried looking in control panel while in safe mode, but control panel in safe mode dosn't seem to have a section about windows updates, so that got me nowhere.

Should I try one of the other safe mode types, the one with networking perhaps?

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#14 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

What if I were to try removing every non-security update one by one, starting from the latest, might doing that leave me able to dispose of KB2976978? It would however require probably 50 restarts (about 1 for every update which had to go), and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed to work, I think some updates (the servvicing stack ones) can't be removed at all so these might get in the way of trying to remove KB2976978.

#15 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

I've been searching around online and some people suffering from "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB.......) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled"errors have been advised to run sfc /verifyonly and see if that says they have corrupted system files anywhere.

I ran sfc /verify only and got the result "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violation". I don't know whether this information is of any help to you, but it might tell you something.

thanks

Also I found these links regarding "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB.......) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled", they might be similar causes to my problem, or it might be a totally different cause resulting in a similar inability to remove updates but suggestions (although I can't follow through what all of them mean) are made about how to fix it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/13a87dbc-87f3-4766-8da7-0cc2e4bb3c06/can-not-run-vmplayer-after-install-kb2976978?forum=w8itproappcompat

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/109213-windows-update-uninstall-console-level.html?filter=[2]=Performance%20Maintenance

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 06:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users