Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 really FREE ??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

Hey gang, came across an article this morning about W10 ! Here is the point i find may be costing you in the future, the Article read : After that first year, Windows 10 Home will cost $120, while the Pro version will go for $200 So this to me says after a year you will have to pay MS to keep W10. This article was on MSN news !! So is it really free or you going to have to pay later for it ? And yes they (MS) have said if you don't like it you can reverse to your old system. Really !!! Anyone heard anything more about charging people ??

Any comments welcome here !!

Thanks

Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hi flashh4 :)

This article is just really poorly worded. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update users can upgrade to Windows 10 for free during the first year of Windows 10 release (until July 29th 2016). After that, if they want to upgrade they'll have to buy Windows 10. However, if they upgrade now, they'll have Windows 10 for free for the supported lifetime of the device it's installed on.

Is it more clear now? :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

The upgrade is indeed free, no cost involved for those who wish to convert from windows 7 or 8.1 to windows 10. there are however plenty of suspicions, although no certainty, that there might be a hidden catch somewhere. The idea that windows 10 would be subscription (pay £.. per month for use) seems to have been disproved, but other types of hidden costs (not necessarily direct flow of cash from you to ms, perhaps built in advertising, or perhaps some sort of data mining of user's data, or perhaps a short "supported lifetime" before a new device is needed, or perhaps something to do with trying to make users get software via the app store, or perhaps something no-one has though of yet) could exist, what they might be, and whether they will exist is not yet known for certain either way.

Edited by rp88, 29 July 2015 - 10:57 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 TechWiz365

TechWiz365

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users until July 29th, 2016.

So yes, it's free!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users until July 29th, 2016.

For Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update* users :) Windows 8 users aren't elligible for it. If they upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update, then yes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

If you download the Windows 10 iso that is available now you can do a clean install if you have Windows 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

If you chose to create installation media

You can install from an ISO, a USB, or a DVD. Here's how:

• Mount the ISO, and then run setup.exe from it.

• If you downloaded to a USB or a DVD, run setup.exe from the USB or DVD.

Both of these options allow you to upgrade the PC if it's already running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 July 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Both of these options allow you to upgrade the PC if it's already running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.

That would go against everything Microsoft said pre-Windows 10 release, or does it means everything they said only concerned the "Get Windows 10" app and not this method of upgrading?

unite_blue.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

I am not sure but I would really like to have somebody confirm it.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

Same here :P It's because Microsoft post things like that that we all get confused after.

unite_blue.png

#10 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hey gang, came across an article this morning about W10 ! Here is the point i find may be costing you in the future, the Article read : After that first year, Windows 10 Home will cost $120, while the Pro version will go for $200 So this to me says after a year you will have to pay MS to keep W10. This article was on MSN news !! So is it really free or you going to have to pay later for it ? And yes they (MS) have said if you don't like it you can reverse to your old system. Really !!! Anyone heard anything more about charging people ??

Any comments welcome here !!

Thanks

Chuck

No Windows 10 is free for qualified users. The qualified users need to have an activated Windows 7 or 8.1. They can download Windows for free between July 29th 2015 and July 29th 2016.  Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are the only ones that can do an upgrade. The rest of the users have to pay those prices you quoted after July 29th 2015 for the Retail version (OEM is less). After July 29th 2016 EVERYONE that purchases, downloads Upgrades or full installs will have to pay.  Those prices you quoted are the prices for the Full install and I'm sure after July 29th 2016 the upgrade price will be different from the upgrade. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

I am not sure but I would really like to have somebody confirm it.

Ok, I'll confirm it for you.  Being a MS Partner I have to give clients the correct info.  Until 28/7/2016 one can Upgrade (install) to Windows 10 @ No Charge from W7 SP1 & W8.1.  After that the prices stated are correct.

Also, one CAN buy Windows 10, now, to do Custom installs & again, in such cases, the prices are correct.

Edited by Drew1903, 29 July 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

Drew, I was inquiring on upgrading to Windows 10 from 8. According to Microsoft you had to be at 8.1 but the install instructions for the iso say you can do it if you have 8. See Quote above.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Drew, I was inquiring on upgrading to Windows 10 from 8. According to Microsoft you had to be at 8.1 but the install instructions for the iso say you can do it if you have 8. See Quote above.

Cannot comment further.  It has always been stated, by Microsoft, and my sources there say the same, that it's 7 SP1 & 8.1 

8.0 is 'old news', was replaced by 8.1 way back when.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

We still need someone to confirm it Drew. Because if Microsoft says that you can upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 directly and it doesn't work, then someone should tell them to adjust the information they give in the .iso download page because it's misleading.

unite_blue.png

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

WELL, IT DOESN'T SAY IT'S FREE IF YOU USE IT WITH 8.0, just that you can use the media tool to make that change.

EDIT: the footnotes on the FAQ clarify you can't get it FREE unless 8.1, so yeah the tool will work, but you'd have to pay when installing.  See its Footnote #4.  Now, Win8.0 users have until January to convert to 8.1, and that's what I did the first time.

So now my original post below the ===== line, goes on hold.  I don't know if I can stomach going through the process again right now.  Have to think that over, k?

============

Okay, I'll play guinea pig.  I got retail 8.0 and I got a new hard drive.  And, I got that usb downloader.  So I'll install 8.0 64-bit fresh on a new drive, activate it, then try the downloader.  But it might take all day.. okay?  It should warn me I have to pay for it if I try it using 8.0.  I have an MSN account, but as 'brainout' so no wallet or charge card.

I shouldn't have any problems except with activating 8.0, since when I did it on my other retail, I ended up having to call MSFT for activation.  So that cost me 3 hours.  But maybe this one won't glitch like that.

Will do it to an 8 GB RAM Dell Latitude 6410.  I forget what new internal drives I have around here, think I've got a spare Scorpio blue.

Wish me luck..

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 01:50 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users