Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 upgrade frm Win7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

I have a desktop w/ Win7 (OEM ver.) and a Win8.1 lappy. I've already rx'd the DL for the desktop upgrade, and assume I'll get the lappy DL within a few days.

I have 2 questions:

1. If I perform the upgrades, will they be truly free ? Or will I start getting dinged for money a year down the road (the threat being MS will cripple my OS if I don't pay)??

2. In the event of a system crash requiring complete reload, can I DL from somewhere an OEM Win10 version in an .iso format??

Thanks for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hi ElfBane :)

1. If I perform the upgrades, will they be truly free ? Or will I start getting dinged for money a year down the road (the threat being MS will cripple my OS if I don't pay)??

Yes. Upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update to Windows 10 in the first year of Windows 10 release will grant you the OS for free for the supported lifetime of the device.

2. In the event of a system crash requiring complete reload, can I DL from somewhere an OEM Win10 version in an .iso format??

You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft website at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

Download the Win10 iso here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584436/download-windows-10-disc-image-iso-file/ .  That site has the link Aura just posted, but also a live Youtube tutorial of the download, which might prove helpful to watch. You can download as usb or DVD iso.  Suggest you do both, in case one of the two media, dies.

Once you run the download tool, be sure you do NOT select 'Upgrade this PC', but rather 'download for another PC', or you cannot get the iso separately.  To get the 64-bit download, you have to be on a 64-bit machine.  You can get more than one version also, but no version will activate without the product key you already have in your OEM Win7 (which should be at the bottom or back or in the battery compartment of your computer), or on your 8.1 laptop. ('In the battery compartment, usually.  Very inconvenient.)  You will have to type in the key, cannot paste it.  So write it down and keep it safe.  In your case, TWO keys, since you have TWO systems eligible for one each, Win10.

The 'version' has to match what you have.  If you have Win7 starter/Home, then you can only get Win10 home for that machine.  If you have Win7 Pro, then you can only get Pro.  If your Win7 is 32-bit, then the installer will only install 32-bit; if you have 64-bit, then the installer will only install 64-bit. For your 8.1 machine, same idea: replace '7' with '8.1' for your 8.1 machine in the prior sentences of this paragraph.

That will serve for your reinstaller.  If you didn't already reserve for your Win7 copy, you can use it for installing Win10 to your Win7 machine too, but see here for getting ready, first.

Since you already reserved your copy for Win 8.1, the download will notify you when it's done.  Might be any day up to some months away.

As for how long free, it's free.  If you wait to install it after July 29 2016, it won't be free anymore.  So if you install it prior, it stays free, though unlike others I'm not sure the updates will stay free; there's no promise of them being free, in the licensing agreement.  The original Win10, yes stays free if you install it in time.

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 08:03 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users