Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find my external hard drive on the television

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 happy.majlund

happy.majlund

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi all.

I've got an older LaCie Share external hard drive 500gb. When plugged in my Mac i see to folders in "Finder". One named "LaCie SHARE" and another one named "Grisling" (i guess that's the name my girlfriend gave it). There is about 100gb storage in "LaCie SHARE" and 400gb in "Grisling". In the beginning i had trouble copying files to "Grisling", but found out today how to unlock it. 

Now to the problem. When connecting the Hard Drive to my television it can only read one of the two folders. It only shows "LaCie SHARE" which is the one with the smallest amount of storage. Does anyone know what to do? how do i get access to the other folder on my tv? 

Hope you guys can help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

Can you please provide information about the model number of your lacie product?  And of your TV.  It is hard to help you without more information.  I see you said your using it with a mac.  So my ' best guess' is that the file system on the larger size is incompatible with your tv

#3 happy.majlund

happy.majlund
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late answer, i just got home from Spain. 

I can tell that the television is a "LG ELECTRONICS 32SL5600 - LED TV" and the Hard drive is a "LaCie SHARE" with a model number: MS25U3L. 

And when i look at the information of the two folders i get this:

The info of "Grisling" are as follows:
Date of creation: December 15. 2012
Format: Mac OS - expanded (Journaled)
Capicity: 400,09 GB

And the info of "LaCie SHARE":
Date of creation: January 1. 1970 (which I think is a bit odd?)
Format: MS-DOS (FAT32)
Capicity: 100 GB

I hope this can help? 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

It looks like exactly what YeahBleeping suggested.  The disk is split into two partitions. The file system on the "Grisling" partition is Mac OS Extended.  This is Mac specific, it's unlikely any TV would read it.

FAT32 on the other hand, which how the "Lacie Share" partition is formatted, is compatible with just about everything.  It has a few limitations, like a maximum file size of 4Gb.

You could use the Mac's Disk Utility (in Apps --> Utilities)  to erase the "Grisling" partition, and create a new FAT32 partition in its place.  This will delete everything currently on "Grisling".  Therefore, you'll have to copy anything you want to keep off that partition temporarily.  In fact it's sensible to back up everything on the whole disk before doing partitioning operations, if it's data you couldn't afford to lose.

As far as I know (prepared to be corrected if anyone knows different) there is no way to convert a partition from Mac OS Extended format to FAT32 non-destructively (i.e. without deleting everything in the Mac OS format partition).

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users