Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help stuck in automatic repair loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kayla618

Kayla618

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:50 AM

Hi all.

I am am having a major issue with my laptop. It is a Toshiba satellite C855D-S5307 running windows 8. It previously was updated to 8.1 but I factory resettled it for reasons unrelated to this issue and prefer windows 8. It has an AMD processor though I don't know exactly what one and 4gb of ram. I've had the computer a year and a half.

So, I previously had the game The Sims 2 on this computer. It went on the laptop with no issue on windows 8 when I first installed it. When I factory reset it a month and a half ago I lost the game.
I was was lucky enough to find the entire line of TS2 expansion packs for crazy cheap, brought them home, and tried to install it. Something went wrong with the installation, I'm not exactly sure what. I have since read that many experience issues with comparability with TS2 but have found suggestions to install it in the future.... If I can fix my computer that is.

The issue is... Immediately after install laptop was acting weird the game wasn't showing up and so I went to start and restarted the computer. It has never booted back up.

The toshiba screen comes up with the loading circle then it quickly flashes a light blue screen. It's so brief I am not 100% sure what it says. I think it says the computer encountered a problem and that it will restart for me. There's also a large sad face. It then goes back to the Toshiba loading circle page briefly and says preparing automatic repair and then to a black screen then light blue sad face screen Toshiba load screen and back to all black. This cycle happens over and over in 7-8 minute intervals.

I have tried all of the following:
Unplugging the laptop & removing battery waiting 5 minutes and then putting them back in. Didnt work.
Unplugging and letting battery drain itself. Didn't work.
Pressing F8 or shift F8. Didn't work.
Using the system restore dvds I created a month and a half ago. Didn't work.
Going into bios and changing the boot menu thing to make the ODD boot first. Didn't work

On two occasions I opened the cd drive after the loop had gone on for a while right after getting the light blue frowny face screen I got a light blue screen with a different message and an error code. It basically stated there was a recovery error and it gave me the options to try again and two more. If nothing was selected the computer shut off after about 30-45 seconds. I can hear the cd drive working but nothing ever actually happens.

All i have are these system restore discs I don't have a windows 8 cd or proof of purchase or serial number I'm not sure if it even came with one. Heck I can't even find my manual for the computer ive moved twice since owning this computer it could be anywhere.

Im not very tech savvy when it comes to hardware so you'll need to explain like I'm 5.

Please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

I don't know computers well either, but, I just ran into an issue when trying to use the Recovery Partition.  If it goes into a loop - like I think what you are saying - you will have to boot up with a partition tool editor.  Then Un-mark the Recovery:Drive as "Active" as it is trying to boot from the Recovery Partition which isn't working for some reason.  Then Mark the C:Drive as active.  This might not help you either if something else is wrong with the 8.1 install.  I don't think you should have tried to revert to the 8 this way, and, this is just an idea of what might be wrong.  So wait to get some better help, but you can always google it and get a little knowledge until then.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Kayla618

Kayla618
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how to do any of that, especially when my computer won't boot at all it never goes beyond the toshiba page.

To clarify I didn't do a factory reset a month and a half ago intentionally to roll back the 8.1 I did it because the computer was running slow and nothing else was working. I have purposely not updated to 8.1 though it's been offered to me.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

It is Starting so that is good.

I understand your pc was running slow, next time you might look for some info here and try the Am I Infected Forum.  There are Tutorials there at top of page also.  You might still go there for help with this, as it might have been Malware to start with.

You might search this in google: "mark partition as active"

To do this you must boot from a tool, I will link you to this one.

If you can, from another computer, download this, burn to disk and boot from it.  Or you can use a Windows Disc. 

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

If you need a burning tool get this

http://www.imgburn.com/

Here is a tutorial on doing this

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/set-active.html

If you need help doing any of this post back.  You will need to get into the BOIS at start by pressing one of the F Keys ususally F10 or F12 F2, it's different on different pc's.  You will usually see the options on startup screen very quickly.  You might have to reboot a few times to get it.  While in BIOS - open the Optical Drive and insert disc and Re-start.  

Some pc's you will have to change the boot order to boot from the Optical Drive, you will do this while in the BIOS > "Save changes and Exit".  Look in your manual, find it online if you need, or look at some youtube video's for your pc on how to change boot order, or booting from Optical drive.

I believe that you want to Choose to Activate your C: Drive.  Try to take note of all that you do, and see if you can tell what is Active Now.  It's probably your "D:Drive" or "Recovery" looks like in the minitool it shows the active partition as Orange.

Hope this helps.  I am not a computer tech or anything so use at own discretion.  I just saw that you weren't getting help yet so thought I would help.

Edited by pcpunk, 29 July 2015 - 07:48 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Kayla618

Kayla618
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for posting again.

Can I do this with any computer or does it have to be a windows 8 computer. I have an old dinosaur windows xp desktop that I might be able to connect to the internet and my fiancées MacBook.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

Yes you can, if that pc has a CD Burner.  Some Optical drives only Read and don't Write/Burn.  Then you will need the burning software, if that is included in that pc then no need to download Imgburn.

I edited that post a little, just do you know.

Edited by pcpunk, 29 July 2015 - 07:51 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

Kayla618, let me rethink this, as I was a little confused by your description.  Here is the manual for you.  

I am wondering if you have all important files backed up.

Let me research your pc tonight

If you want do a google search on "preparing automatic repair" 

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3520531

Edited by pcpunk, 31 July 2015 - 09:55 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users